Thread: 1st Fantasy World MAP WIP

Post 1st Fantasy World MAP WIP

Hello all. I stumbled upon this place quite by accident and was really impressed by what I saw here. I found a few tutorials and decided to show my progress so far. I would also like to thank jezelf and hapimeses for their tutorials.

This map is based off a hand drawn original, and done entirely in photoshop. It is for an upcoming 4e homebrew campaign. If anyone has any advice or suggestions lets hear em!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Old Paper copy.jpg 
Views:	1062 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	5365  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks fantastic. I assume yer gonna finish shading the mountains like the ones you have started, so keep up the good work

Guild Adept

First of all, I like the washed out look to the map. Not quite sepia, but still old fashioned looking. I also like the shape of the landmass. It is interesting to look at. I've seen some pretty maps that could have been better if the landmass was more interesting.

All in all, looks like a really good start. Can't wait to see how the whole thing looks when you are done.

I really like the look of this map. I am looking forward to seeing this come along.

This map looks great...so far

I am sure it will be a beauty once completed.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I wil definitely be shading in all the mountains. Its a bit time consuming and I think I might need to pick up a tablet.

I am sort of at a loss for trees though. I would like them to have the same perspective as the mountains, but I may have already backed myself into a corner as far as scale goes. Any suggestions?

Beautiful colour choice! (Greyscale maps are really underrated). For the trees have a browse through similar maps. I think you can probably do them just as a scalloped line with some drop shadow beneath to suggest a tiny bit of vertical height.

It is very nice indeed! I like the simplicity of the drawing and visual effects.

The land shape strangely reminds me of a very deformed Europe. it has about the same configuration. it might be pure chance, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
    It is very nice indeed! I like the simplicity of the drawing and visual effects.

The land shape strangely reminds me of a very deformed Europe. it has about the same configuration. it might be pure chance, though.
    It definitely does. For some reason every campaign world map I have ever sketched out always ends up looking like the mediterranean. Oh well. I'll have some updates as soon as my hand stops cramping from drawing all of those tiny mountains.

I picked up a tablet a couple of months ago, and I can't tell you loud enough how big of a difference it made!

I bought a Wacom Graphire 4 off of Ebay, and it has made drawing a whole lot easier.