Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gold Coast, first map attempt

Your mountains are just awesome! Wish I could draw mountains like that.

As everyone, the b&w looks better. Your coloring is well done, but I agree with madbird-valiant, it's often different on the map, in the middle of other elements.
    I have to say that I'm curious to see your forests & cities!

Thanks a lot! While I still have time tonight, I might as well post another question/update, concerning forests. I've never drawn forests before and as I draw with ink, one mistake can be devastation for the map. So I decided to draw two quick examples, with the hope that someone might tell me if they look to much like a lake, hill or perhaps even a fluffy cloud. Or if they actually look like forests and I should keep going. A big thanks in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131118_0014.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	59131

That works for forest, I prefer the extra edge detailing on the top one vs. the bottom one. Something I do - since I draw in ink as well and never use pencil (unless using only pencil). I do my mountains the same time I do rivers and coastlines, however, I do forests separately. Once my mountains are done, I place a piece of tracing paper on top and then do my forests. That way if I make a mistake, I can do the forests again, and not have to do the mountains and everything else, again. Just how I process my hand-drawn maps.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I agree with Gamerprinter, both forest work well but the top one I think is a little better. I also like the mountains you have as well.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Yup, the forest on the top is definitely working. Maybe you also want to draw a few little "peaks" of single trees amidst the mass.

No doubts, the top one has more "in perspective" as we better see the tree trunks. It looks more detailed too.
    Good job already!

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback, it's very helpful and much appreciated!

I begun drawing some forest following the first design, and here is the result. To me, they feel a little to "sloppy" and the lines feel too thick. However, with a little more detailing, they will do.
    I also added a design of a smaller wall/beginning of establishment that will be a Mining Industry/colony in the bottom left corner. Perhaps that will help making the scale more clear.

Ps/ After adding color to some doodles in PS over lunch ( uploaded them in a album on my profile) I couldn't hesitate to give this a quick touch as well. Just to see how it could look.

Name:	forest 1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	59152

Name:	test C mine.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	59153

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

That looks fantastic, beautiful work.

A quick update of today's progress. Just the forests along the mountainside.

I'm starting to get ideas for settlements on the map. First out a port city, covering parts of the peninsula (I think?) to the right on the picture. Also the want to draw a smaller settlement on the spot of land in the north, where the forest rivers cluster in the top of this picture. Could become cool. Though, I will have to draw some buildings designs separately before I begin drawing them on the map!

Name:	tree 2.jpg 
Views:	1076 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	59192

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Love the chopped-down stumps!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast