Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gold Coast, first map attempt

Wip The Gold Coast, first map attempt

For almost a year now I have followed WIPs on this forum, watching the inspirational work of truly amazing artists and cartographers, pondering over all the stunning worlds that exist within the border of this forum. Cartography and world building have always been the purest form for me to express creativity, a life-long curiosity and love. From the bottom of my heart I can honestly say, there is simply nothing like it.

A few weeks ago I decided to make a account, but haven't had the time to introduce myself proper. However, having some extra time to spare I figured what better way to introduce myself then with a WIP thread of my own!

In the past I have done a few simple maps, mostly land outlining – some borders and heraldry. Though with this map, I want to broaden my limits and perhaps learn a thing or two by drawing a colored map with mountains, forests, rivers and all the goodies I can conjure! The project will be called, "The Gold Coast", a regional map over a landscape ruled by Greed and Blood, due to the rich mineral founding's within the mountains and rivers near the coast. To kick it of I have drawn a simple draft over the coastlines. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Gold Coast 1.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	59087

Following the coastlines I decided to start attempting on drawing some mountains. This is how they are coming along so far. With some color and shadows, they will hopefully work.

Name:	mountain 1.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	59095

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a fantastic start; very convincing mountains. Have some rep for jumping right in with a map!

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Those mountains look amazing. Great work!

I attempted coloring a test mountain and it came out fine. However, It's not really the style I want so will have to put some work into fixing it. Right now it's to me more "cartoonish" approach, while I'm hoping to achieve a more rustic, antique style. A more shifting color scheme should probably solve that.
    The idea is to have forests climbing the lower mountainsides, on some part even draping them in green mantle. Perhaps even some mountain rivers and waterfalls if I dare.

Name:	mountain C1.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	981.3 KB 
ID:	59124
    No shadow

Name:	mountain c2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	654.3 KB 
ID:	59125
    Shadowed

Name:	mountain c3.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	927.2 KB 
ID:	59126
    Some surrounding grassland and a half-assed attempt at a touch of green within the ravine and the mountainsides

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

God those look stunning. Hate to harp on about it but you have some talent for mountains

Personally I prefer the half-shaded "no shadow" ones, on the whole, when I look at maps. When you shade the entire mountain, when you zoom out and look at the map as a whole they tend to just come across as blotchy smears rather than anything concrete. To each their own though.

Thanks a bunch
    I agree, the first one does look the best out of the three. It's more "Clean". Though, seeing as the map will be a covered alot with grasslands, I will have to find some solution how to seperate the green ground from the mountains

Very cool! I dig it.
    The only thing that popped into my mind is "how big is the landmass he's showing?" ... because for me, i was under the impression that this is continental scale...and if that is the case (i could be totally wrong of course, but that was my first impression anyway), the mountains are out of scale aka too big.
    Maybe you could add a scale-bar to the map?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Wow, great mountains! I remember how I struggled with mountains, in fact, I still am. Very inspirational!

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
    Here comes another update of the map, with what I think is all the mountains I want (more or less). However, seeing them all there, I realize that some of them are enormous! Especially the ones around the upper left corner

Name:	The gold coast 2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	59128

To answer your question, the map is supposed to be a regional map, far from anything continental. Can't say any figures because I actually haven't thought about it. So thanks! I will consider it more, and perhaps add a scale bar to make it clear.
    Furthermore I have a question for any Cartographer here that know the answer and wants to help out. When drawing coastal waters, what style is the best when it comes to a regional map like this one? Does any of these quick-drawn examples work? Thanks in advance

Name:	IMG_20131118_0013.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	59129

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast