Thread: Ready to learn

Post Ready to learn

Greetings from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!

I found this site while looking for some info and examples of brushes for GIMP. I want to put together some maps and illustrations for a novel and I was undecided whether I could do everything I wanted in GIMP, or if I should do it all freehand.

I'm on the cusp of beginner/intermediate ability with GIMP and want to make some serious improvement. Most of my work has been with photos, and I want to explore drawing/diagramming, and especially mapmaking.

I don't have a graphics tablet. I'll be restricted to using a mouse, at least for the near future.

I'm running Linux Mint 14 and expect to be using GIMP primarily, though I also play with Inkscape and Dia a little.

I'm looking forward to digging through these great resources!

Welcome to the Guild HDJones! I'm a big fan of GIMP myself. However the latest version has problems with Wacom's tablets, so you are actually better off just working with a mouse. It's slow going, but it can be done (I should know, I've done it). There are plenty of great tutorials here for GIMP, as well as a few great tutorials on hand drawn style maps. I'd spend a good solid few hours in the tutorials section familiarizing yourself with what's out there and then plunge into a tutorial or three. Let us know if you have any questions about anything.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh