Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SpellJammer Lamprey Ship

Map SpellJammer Lamprey Ship

I will be GMing an old school SpellJammer game at TotalCon (February in Massachusets), and I needed some new ships.
    This is based on the TSR ship, but is mostly my design.
    The space background is by Stratomunchkin at DeviantArt.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lamprey-Ship_bg -18x30.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	59118

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I really like the ships shapes that really gives that SpellJammer feel Though I'm not fully convinced by the background.

You should have seen the background before I reduced the brightness by 70%! Still it is a bit over the top.
    Let's try it with a plain starfield.

Name:	Lamprey-Ship_bg-Starfield.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	59140

Very nice! I'm sure it will be a hit in your campaign.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks, I also need to make a larger Vodani Ship for the PCs to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Thanks, I also need to make a larger Vodani Ship for the PCs to attack.
    Very nice Boogie
    I like it !
    Nyogtha
    RPG's Blog : "Le Parchemin de Nyogtha"
    http://medievalshop.com/parchemin/

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh you HAVE to keep that original background. That is number one old school !! Great looking ships
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Now that TotalCon is over I can post the map of the Vodoni Wolfship. The game went very well considering it was Sunday morning at 8am.
    It was a fun weekend. I got to play in old school D&D games DM'd by industry guests Tim Kask, Frank Mentzer, & Michael Curtis.

Name:	Vodani-Huntship-2 floors_bg.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	61957

I know the background is a little busy, but it's to late to change it now.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Big Mac's Avatar

I wish I was near to Massachusets, so I could have gone to this. It sounds really great. I've written a thread about your game at the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza, to let other fans know this happened. Did you write the adventure yourself, or was it the start of the standard TSR campaign for Vodoni?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I know the background is a little busy, but it's to late to change it now.
    One thing you might want to consider about the background, if you run this again, or if you want to run other SJ adventures, is that, if you can create a more neutral background (maybe a starfield) for multiple ship deckplans, it might be possible for the different deckplans to fit together. Imagine, for example, the PCs in the Lampray Ship ramming the Vodoni Huntship. If you literally placed the Lampray ship map on top of the Vodoni Huntship map, and lined up the ram with part of the Huntship, it would be a great way to show the players the area where the boarding action would take place.

A more neutral starfield background might make that easier to do.

You might also want to consider making a transparant background, printing the ships out on acetate and then laying down a starfield on the gaming table with the deckplans on top. If you did that, you could build up a library of ships and have them dock with each other, without any of the background of the "top" ship covering up any of the cool details on the "bottom" ship.
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting

That is a cool idea using a transparent acetate sheet for the ship. Never thought of that.

The SJ game I ran at Totalcon was one I created, but calling it an "Adventure" would be a stretch. " Prince Andru's wife and child have been kidnapped and are being held on this ship by a group of Vodoni. Attack the ship with your Lamprey ship, board it and try to rescue them." end of story, the time slot was only 4 hrs, So just a quick hack n Slash. I didn't even write it down just played it off the top of my head with nothing more than the map and a list of monster stats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast