Thread: Hi, I'm an old-school crpg fan/looking to transfer handdrawn maps to something better

Guild Applicant

Default Hi, I'm an old-school crpg fan/looking to transfer handdrawn maps to something better

Hi, I'm an old-school crpg afficianado looking to transfer some of my hand drawn dungeon maps into an old school graphical style map. So I'm here searching these forums for some classic dungeon mapping styles to use.

This is one of the styles I am going for...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level06APOSTERum.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	59135

But is there any program out there that could make maps similar to this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rq4h.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	59136

Welcome to the Guild Gnarshm! You could create a map like either of those using either a vector program such as Illustrator or Inkscape, or a raster program such as Photoshop or GIMP. I'm much more familiar with GIMP than any of the other programs and can direct you to a great tutorial for creating old school dungeon maps using it here. You will have to adapt it slightly to suit your purposes, but it's fairly straight forward. Once you get started, throw up a WIP in the "Dungeon Maps" sub-forum and you'll be sure to receive constructive criticism, tips and advice to help you hone your skills.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thank you for posting the link! I also have been looking for another way to create maps!

Stormie