Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 23] - Thargellian Highlands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Nice start! Title changed as per request!
    Thank you, sir.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Info

Here is some basic info about the area, it has been added tothe WIKI and I will try to expand on it soon...

Capital
    Officially none, overall control of region disputed between the cities of Nyshdari and Rhadim

Population
    Mix of human and demi-human races (50% Dyvari, 30% Nagoli, 15% Vaelan, 5% other races)

Imports/Exports
    Exports: Goats, Sheep, Fleece, Wool, Cheese, Seafood Imports: Luxury goods, some raw metal, raw wood

General Geography
    Located on the southernmost portion of the Luwath Peninsula, the Thargellian Highlands are an area comprised of rough, rolling hills and scattered groves of scrub trees and brush. (Think Scottish highlands, with better weather.)

Off the eastern and southern coast are several islands, these were once used as bases by various pirates/marauders.

The southeastern region is also home to several large lakes and two deep, inland bays highly prized for their value as ports. Two rivers, the Thargel and the Roon, cascade down from great ridge that bisects much of the area.

History
    Once dominated by the Nagoli people, and later after the fall of the Nagolish Empire by the Vaelan, the Highlands are now primarily under the influence of the Dyvari who migrated from the more arid regions far to the east approximately 200 years ago.

The Dyvari, fleeing religious persecution and famine, gradually migrated through Orvaelos, then across and down the Luwath peninsula finally settling in the slightly more fertile regions around the deep bays of the southeast.

The Dyvari quickly had a great influence on the area, they were a learned people and brought with them skills and abilities not seen since the fall of Nagolish. The Nagoli, who had degenerated into semi-nomadic herders viewed the Dyvari as near gods and soon became sub-serviant to them. It would have been easy for the Dyvari to take undo advantage of the native Nagoli. But due to the foresite of some more enlightened Dyvari leaders the Nagoli who were willing were slowly integrated into Dyvari society. The Vaelan in the area were less awed by the Dyvari, but quickly integrated themselves into Dyvari society, subtely inserting some of their own values and traditions into the weave.

There are still many Nagoli who retain the semi-nomadic lifestyle. They generally live deep in the highlands in small, isolated villages comprised of extended families or slightly larger clan-oriented compounds.

Flaura/Fauna
    Sybatyn - a bamboo-like scrub tree whose wood is very dense and tough. Prized and cultivated for lances, spears, etc.

Important Settlements
    The cities of Nyshdari and Rhadim vie for dominance over the entire area. Nyshdari controls trade coming from the west and Rhadim that which comes from the east. Each are port cities of moderate size.
    Last edited by Steel General; 07-24-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fromatting

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Updated map

OK, here's a slightly updated version. Added some "dirt/rock" to the higher elevations, just enough to break up all that green. Also added labels for the out lying islands and the rivers.

Anyone know if the ocean has been named?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thargellian Highlands2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	5482  

Nie Map, I like it.
    It seem a great place to travel to and start an exotic campaign.

continu the good work,
    Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Map Thargellian Highlands - Small Update

I noticed that I had a river-related infraction, so I corrected it.

@Alucard - Thanks, I'm planning on getting to the two major cities one of these days.

Name:	Thargellian Highlands3.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	6288  

Map Update - Added village of Nag'Lesh

RedRobes pointed out that the village I had created for the challenge from a couple of months ago was missing. I have added it and re-posted the map.

Name:	Thargellian Highlands4.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	15420  

Blog Entries

Thanks Steel, I have updated the overview again - not that you can see much change at this scale but it does have the Nag Lesh map on it if you zoom up and I like to keep on top of it.

I also took this opportunity to add a star in the Witchlight Stand where were playing. I will add stars to any campaign groups I know of.

The sea looks very good. Adding a legend explaining the different symbols (interesting that you use triangles along with the round dots) would be nice. It's not like there'd be any trouble finding the space to place it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast