Thread: Salutations

Default Salutations

Hi everyone.
    I've been lurking forums for years but never really had a reason to register.
    Now, i have the reason. So i joined the club.
    The reason is - i am actually a game developer/designer. And a one man army.
    I am playing with the idea of making a game mostly based on a huge overworld map. With maybe some micro-maps as well but i don't know will i have the skills and time to produce all that.
    A sneak peek of what i am working right know. And this is actually the first time i put any of my unfinished work on internet.

Of course thats just a small bit of the map. The wholemap is 4096^2 big. So far i've managed to add some nice lands, beaches, coastline, some basic land structures and elevations, basic coloring, some forests. I am currently trying to figure out a method of making a realistic mountains. It's a total WIP, and to be honest - this is the first time i am making a fantasy map, but it's comming out rather well and not as difficult as i thought.

Being a lone member of the team can kill your buzz very fast. Thats why i decided to come out from shadows and look for some company. This forums might be perfect. As i prefer quality over quantity.

Looking forward to read from you guys!

PS: Lol! i've just noticed i need to get rid of the trees overlaping water.

Blog Entries

Welcome and thanks for posting a preview of your map

I think you have some great detail and overall it looks very good. However, the trees and ground surrounding them seem to be extremely green. Given there's so much forest, it gives the map a green hue. I'm not sure that's something you were going for but I doubt it. Maybe give the land a more dusted look and/or go for a darker, less neon, green.

Cheers
    FM
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Welcome to the guild, I like the forest style, if only it was a higher resolution.

Guild Apprentice

What really stands out to me is the texture of the water... Nice work. Look through the tutorials, There are some good mountain ones in there.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    Welcome and thanks for posting a preview of your map

I think you have some great detail and overall it looks very good. However, the trees and ground surrounding them seem to be extremely green. Given there's so much forest, it gives the map a green hue. I'm not sure that's something you were going for but I doubt it. Maybe give the land a more dusted look and/or go for a darker, less neon, green.

Cheers
    FM
    thank you! i didn't worked that hard on coloring yet. thats because i want to finish the land shape first.
    AS its the first time i am making a fantasy map, i don't have an established workflow so i like "press the buttons and see what happends" hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    Welcome to the guild, I like the forest style, if only it was a higher resolution.
    Thank you, It would actually look bad ^^ the forest is made out of random dots with inner emboss, pattern overlay and drop shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by DearCyrus View Post
    What really stands out to me is the texture of the water... Nice work. Look through the tutorials, There are some good mountain ones in there.
    Yay! someone noticed!! thank you! actually i love my water and i really worked hard on it. I wanted something more then just savage color fill with clouds. but i disliked the Google Maps style. The water is made of like 7 layers. 3 diffrent bump textures, 3 color textures and the beach and the coastline. I hope my mountains will be just as good.
    Last edited by Irbis; 11-15-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Guild Apprentice

You should definitely make a tutorial for your water. It is amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by DearCyrus View Post
    You should definitely make a tutorial for your water. It is amazing...
    I'll be honored!
    EDIT:
    Almost finished mountains and OMG how great they are!!!
    It looks like a 3d render rather then 2d photoshop!
    I think ill make a seperate thread just about the map.

Oh abnd don't get me wrong. Believe me - i am not doing show off.
    You must understand that i have a very weird atitude toward my creations. I just never think of them as my own. But thats how i am able to maintain a sideview and perspective. Because i always look at my work like it would me someone else doings. I'll add a link to the map thread in a minute.

EDIT:
    MAP THREAD
    Last edited by Irbis; 11-15-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: to avoid double posting.

Welcome to the Guild Irbis! Although I just saw your other post and I'm sorry to here that you won't be able to finish the map. I hope that things turn around for you. Also, if the issue is software, may I suggest trying the GIMP? While not quite as powerful as PS it is a wonderful graphics program that won't cost you a dime. Hope to see you around in the future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Irbis! Although I just saw your other post and I'm sorry to here that you won't be able to finish the map. I hope that things turn around for you. Also, if the issue is software, may I suggest trying the GIMP? While not quite as powerful as PS it is a wonderful graphics program that won't cost you a dime. Hope to see you around in the future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you Arsheesh! Well, to explain the situation without getting to sound over-dramatic:
    I started Game Developing 4 years ago. From scratch. I was just a gamer who wanted to play a game - but couldn't find any of my desire no more. So i took the brave step and decided to make one on my own.
    I haven't knew a tiny bit about codding, or photoshop, or animation or anything. I was learning things as i moved forward.
    I woulnd't dare to make such a choice but 4 years ago a chain of tragedies happend in my life, which turned my world up side down. One of many was cancer. Somehow i won the back-walking devil, even if i wake up each day of my life, with fear of tomorrow. The cost was great. Greater then anything i can imagine. But i recived the message. To keep on pushing. Because life is short. Shorter then we think. So i grow stronger in my decision of making a game. To make something wourthy. Something that will keep on living - even if i perish. But making a game, even a simple one, is a work done by a whole team of people. When i was, and i still em - all alone.
    So i had to do all the design, all the graphics, animations, interface, artworks, programing, testing, website, promotion and countless other smaller and bigger tasks.
    I have to note, i am a man of a huge passion and will power. But things became more difficult over time.
    As of now, i am uneployed. With wife and son. And our savings are becoming void. So i have to finish a game. Publish it. And earn some money. That being said - i have to go with a game that can be developed quickly. Sure it won't be as good as i could make it - but theres no time left. So i have to leave everything else, any other projects behind, on hold.
    One, irrelevant thing i would like to add, is... the reason. Why?
    You see, i have a very small material needs. Almost none. I don't need expensive holidays, cars, houses, items. I don't care about them. They are all optional. Things that make me happy cannot be bought. And the biggest one of them - is happines of the those i love.
    My son, who is 2 years old. And for who i want a better life then the one i had (i grew in near-poverty).
    My wife, who always wanted her own house, safety. Who is working her ass off, so her stupid, dreams-chasing husband could make a game.
    My mother who, when being almost 60 years old, is working very hard with sick kids, for minimal salary (not like she chosed this job, but for 50+ yo woman, there are not many alternatives).

I need to make, finish and publish, a lot of games. So from the money earned - i will be able to buy my fammily a better life.
    If they are happy - so em i. As i said, i have a very "small" personal needs.

I am aware you didn't asked for such an answear. And i hope i didn't make this awkward. It's the first time i ever shared this on line.
    Mostly because i never had been as depressed as i am now. And because if i fail now, it might be the end. So this is my last stand.

I hope the text didn't came up over-dramatic heh.
    Last edited by Irbis; 11-22-2013 at 05:36 AM.

...wow. I admire your courage in seeing this through. I wish you all the best in this project. I'll be praying for you and your family during this uncertain season. Have you considered the possibility of trying to crowd-source the funding for this project? It might relieve some of the burden, as well as spread awareness of your project.

Kind regards,
    -Arsheesh