Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: November 2013 Entry - Lingon's untitled

excellent job! I want that world in my home, on one of those big rotating globe tables, with the wheels and drink holders . . . yeah!

Nice,
    Gpig

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

@Diamond: Thank you! The colors are very influenced by Torstan's ASoIaF maps, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out too

@Chashio: You're back! Thanks for stopping by I hope the idea you got was globe-related – I have to see a Chashio globe!

@Gpig: Thanks! This world is only mine though

Here's what I've done today:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glob7.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	456.8 KB 
ID:	59268

Wow, that's excellent Lingon! I like the general feeling.

It makes me wonder how some fantasy maps would look like on a globe...

Thanks, Ilanthar! I've been thinking of other fantasy worlds on globes too actually… Maybe I'll make a half globe with Westeros and Essos sometime… Googling "fantasy globe" hardly turns up anything relevant, so it seems like a rather unexplored area. I'll definitely be making more, both because I've learned a lot from this one that I want to use on a larger, more detailed globe, and because no-one else is doing it

So, I've been practicing my hand-writing… Developed a simple font (or whatever it's called when it's by hand), and doodled random words. Does it look decent?

Name:	Kaligrafi.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	59298

Wow...this is looking REALLY fantastic! Can't wait to see the final product! And as always, beautiful landmass shapes, detailing, and colours.

I love that "font" as well! You should turn it into an actual font...unless you want to keep for yourself, of course.

Thanks so much, Neyjour! I'd love to share the font if you want to use it, unfortunately I have no experience with software for making the actual font files. But it's on my list of stuff to learn when I have time Of course, I could post a scan of the entire alphabet and let someone else do the work for me… Maybe you'd even be up for it?

Same here...I have no idea how to make fonts. But that's really awesome that you'd be willing to share it! It's very pretty! You should definitely post it and see if someone would be willing to make it into a font.

Hopefully we are not representative of this forum's font making skills then I'll just have to polish the letters a little and write them so they'd be easy to separate into individual images, then I'll see if anyone's willing

I've written the names I know onto the globe now, and while I think the writing itself turned out decent, the readability became really crappy… It works in that big desert, but anywhere a label crosses a river it becomes very hard to make out. I'm thinking of highlighting the letters with red to make them stand out more, could that work? Or would it make them stand out too much? I'd love some input on this, I'm currently leaning towards the red but please stop me if you think it'd be idiocy…

Name:	Glob8.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	59384

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Great work Lingon!
    I can`t imagine all the hard work you must be going through. I suck at manual jobs, but your planet is turning out great! For the red highlight, why don`t you text it with some transparent material, IDK, just an idea!
    ps: What about a moon orbiting it? xD

Keep up the good work!

I'm also thinking that a thin light red would look good with the brown text, but maybe you could test out some different colours digitally, just to get a general idea of what might look the best? And maybe darken up the text a little bit on the land portions (like you've done on the bottom left)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast