Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: November 2013 Entry - Lingon's untitled

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Carbus: Thanks! It's not that hard really, the most annoying bit was getting the paper gores onto the globe semi-neatly, but after that it's not too different from painting on a flat surface. Which I'm used to I think we're on the same page about the transparent material, I was planning to just add rather subtle coloring, but letting the black/grey/brown shine through.

Neyjour: Great idea to test it digitally! (Why didn't I think of that? ) Here's a test with red, blue, purple and white. I think I like purple the best, it stands out but matches the slight purple tone of the mountains… sort of?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glob9.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	59414

Guild Applicant

Nice job. I like it.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Why limit yourself to one color? You could have different colors signify different things - country names, geographical features, cities, seas, etc.

It's looking outstanding, by the way.

Thanks! Yeah, several colors is a good idea, not sure it would work so well on this one though since I'm only writing nation names on it (cities and geography would make it crowded as the globe is quite small, 20 cm in diameter, and seas I haven't come up with any names for yet ). I could use different colors on different nations, but I'm worried that would look a little random… I think I'd like to keep the color scheme pretty tight. And I'm getting more and more convinced that purple is the best option…

I think I like the red the best, but purple also looks quite good as well! Although, maybe try it a tiny bit darker? But yeah, either one of those would be a good choice, IMO.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, if you want to limit your color scheme, purple looks best IMO. I didn't realize the globe was that small; it looks much bigger for some reason.

Thanks guys, I went ahead with a dark purple It didn't make a very big difference, turned out extremely dark actually, but I think it improved readability slightly… Anyway, the globe itself is done now, and I've taken some slightly less terrible photos and worked on a presentation of it too. I chose a style that contrasts strongly with the globe's. One day to go, so there's still time for improvement

### Winner ###

Name:	Glob10.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	59437
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Dude, that's just brilliant work. Really cool!

Thanks Llannagh!

And on a related note but not part of the challenge entry, here's the beginning of a flat map of the main continent…

Name:	Azi.Equidistant1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	59482

I don't know how soon I'll have time to do any more work on this map, so I didn't want to start a new thread for it yet. Think of it as a sneak peak

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123