Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

So!

All your kind words have helped and I got this for you now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lamuire-Jan14-2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	581.0 KB 
ID:	61092

I think I actually finished the general layout for this. A first for me!

I guess it's pretty obvious how the style progressed. I started with the hills in the centre and kind of worked my way clockwise around them. I'll tweak them as much as possible without disrupting the whole thing.

Next thing will be settlements and roads and labels.

I read often that Illustrator would be a good program to do those, right?

Cheers everyone,
    Llannagh

Blog Entries

Loooking really good !
    Have you "liked" a post today?

This has an absolutely beautiful style to it. Any concerns you have about whether or not you've found your niche should be thrown right out the window. This is excellent.

So much so that I would love some insight into how you did this. Tutorial!?

Quote Originally Posted by gspRooster View Post
    This has an absolutely beautiful style to it. Any concerns you have about whether or not you've found your niche should be thrown right out the window. This is excellent.

So much so that I would love some insight into how you did this. Tutorial!?
    Wow, thanks, I'm blushing!

Well, the good folks here on this forum have worked their magic and this kind of just happened... the problem has been more about me not being able to actually finish anything, but somehow this worked out well. And it's not really that complicated! I'll be happy to do a tutorial for this... but I think I'll finish it first!
    I can tell you though, all I did here was using a paper texture as a background with an opacity of, I think, somewhere between 50 and 60%, but that really depends on the texture. Then I colored this with a very soft and light brush and very low opacity, to have bakcground color. I think in overlay mode.
    The rest is just painting with the right colors and changing brushsize very often. It's a custom brush. I can write a quick how-to later, if you like. But the brush doesn't matter that much, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Loooking really good !
    Thank you so much! You played your part in making this happen, so consider yourself a co-creater!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Awesome! So cool to see a completed landscape in your style, and I love the forests and scattered trees. It looks really, really good. The only thing I'd suggest tweaking is the rivers, I don't think they match the painted look of the rest – if you'd widen them a little, and make them wiggle more, it'd tie the whole thing together

Personally, I wouldn't use vector (Illustrator, Inkscape) graphics on a map like this. It could work, but instinctively it feels like it would stand out too much, or that it would take so much extra work to blend it in with the rest that it'd be easier to draw it in your main software directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Awesome! So cool to see a completed landscape in your style, and I love the forests and scattered trees. It looks really, really good. The only thing I'd suggest tweaking is the rivers, I don't think they match the painted look of the rest – if you'd widen them a little, and make them wiggle more, it'd tie the whole thing together

Personally, I wouldn't use vector (Illustrator, Inkscape) graphics on a map like this. It could work, but instinctively it feels like it would stand out too much, or that it would take so much extra work to blend it in with the rest that it'd be easier to draw it in your main software directly.
    Thank you so much! You too, of course, played a big part in making this happen! I learned a lot from you. Much, much appreciated!

Yeah, those rivers were more or less doodled in. I'll refine them.

I get your point about the vectors. I think I'll just do the labeling with illustrator, and maybe the frame.
    Ha! Never got to the point where I had to give the framing and compass rose and such things serious thought! That'S a whole different thing, though, isn't it? Exciting!!

Cheers again to all of you, I'll get back to working on the map!

Hey, the map is looking very nice. Will you use all that water area for something else?

Thanks!

Yes, I'll use the area to the left and top for a textbox, maybe, and a legend. I'll put in a scalebar, too. Not sure about a compassrose, though.

You seem quite talented for a guy with "pretty semi knowledge" of photoshop. I like the "painted" look of your last map and I really liked those mountains on your second map of this thread. Keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12