Thread: The Interactive Middle Earth Map & Photo-Realistic Mountains: Any How-To Guides?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help The Interactive Middle Earth Map & Photo-Realistic Mountains: Any How-To Guides?

First off, if you haven't seen the Google Maps-esque interactive map of Middle Earth, do so now. It's stunning.

Secondly, I'm very curious if anybody has some thoughts on duplicating that style of very photo-realistic mountains for their maps.

This random Skyrim map I found via Google also shows some similar lifelike mountain range design, although in a distinctly different style from the Middle Earth design.

It looks like the designer(s) behind it have used satellite images as a base texture, then added and modified things on top, but I'm uncertain how they created the 3D-ish mountains complete with erosion/river lines and the like.

A very delicate use of layers with bevel styles to create a semblance of height and erosion?

Any tips or thoughts?

Edit: Found a slightly larger version of the Skyrim map.
    Last edited by Will Phillips; 11-22-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.