Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP! Dragon Helm

Wip WIP! Dragon Helm

I'm trying a new style for this map. I really like it so far! I have the base outline done and the mountain ranges. I don't know how I want to do the forest yet, if you have any ideas please let me know. Feel free to tell me what you think about it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newwip.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	59272

here is an update, I added forest and some texture and color to the land. I've had people tell me this map looks like a dragons helmet, or just a dragon itself, or even a skull. Feel free to tell me what you think!

Views:	104 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	59522

Same picture? hehe, Looking good!

Thanks Kobell, I know it doesn't look like I've done much and I'm sorry about that, this month has been crazy for me. I have not been able to work on my map in such a long time. I got my rivers in and I'm hoping that after the holidays I will have more time to work on this map. Anyway here is an update on the map hope you like it!

Views:	81 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	59727

I want to do a cool border around this map and I'm not sure of how to do that. If anyone has any advise or ideas on what I should do for that let me know!

I think I'm close to finished with this project, I am going to post a thread of my finished map. Any comments are welcome! let me know what you think of the frame I'm still not sure about it.

Name:	newwip-Recovered.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	59862

I really like the shape of your landmass! But more detail (bays and peninsulas) on the coastline would make it look even better! Also, the coastline is very blurry and the black outline a bit uneven (in thickness). A new coastline with a crisp, thin, even outline would really do wonders to improve it, IMO.

I love the font (and colour) you've used for the mountains. That looks really good. But the other labels look a bit strange, like they've been stretched vertically. Also, you might want to try a different colour rather than black. Something muted maybe, that would compliment the mountain text.

I'm not really a fan of the border, to be honest. It looks very messy and makes the whole map look a bit wonky. If you're not able to make your own border, there are many wonderful border brushes to be found at deviantART.

Your symbols also look very blurry, although I'm not sure if that's general blurriness or if it's the gradient/shading that's making them look that way. Maybe try doing them again in solid black.

I like the vortex you've done for your compass, but the black part looks very messy. Again, there are lots of wonderful free compass roses to be found at deviantART, or right here in the Resources section. Maybe even add some rhumb lines as well.

The ocean/background looks very plain. Adding a texture overlay would do wonders for the whole map, IMO.

A lot of crits, I know! But please don't let that discourage you. I think this has lots of potential!
    Last edited by Neyjour; 12-21-2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typo

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Domino, I have to agree with Neyjour about borders and blurried icons. Just some small work more would make it better quite easily. Also you might want to avoid using this bad text curved effect that really kills the labels and the map, and prefer using path tools to build your curves wihout distord the fonts in a very bad way. Check this tutorial for instance

Thank you both for your input! it was very helpful. Neyjour I know that there is a lot of free things on deviantART but I want to be able to create my own things, even though it might not look as good. I know that I won't get any better if I don't at least try. I am going to redo all of the icons but that might not be for a while. I think I want to make all the cities unique. I took the black outline out completely, and I did a little work on the compass but I know there are a few more things I need to fix with the compass. I dimmed the black labels and undid the text curves. there is still a lot of touch up to do, everywhere.

Name:	newwip-Recovered.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	59896

Agree with your point of view Domino44. If I weren't skilled at creating illustrations and graphics, and I was trying to expedite creating usable maps for games, I would consider using other peoples art objects - that would be the only reason I ever use someone elses art. But if I wanted to become a better cartographer, then I would definitely put in the work towards creating my own stuff, even if it wasn't as good as something already created by someone else.

Of course since I am very skilled at creating my own maps and illustrations, I would never use someone else's art for any reason whatsoever.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks Gameprinter! of course i'm not against other artist giving me tips and advise…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast