Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: November/December Lite Challenge Entry: Human Colonies of King Alfred Williby the 3rd

Yeah, I think the jungle island looks much better now!

The left hand portion of the map is looking good! And I really like all your font choices.

I hope someone can help you out with border options. The one you've got now is a bit too overpowering, IMO.

Guild Journeyer

Looking good so far Psylence, there are a lot of interesting things going on! I like the style of your map key, simple but effective.

I struggle with borders as well, but I know that arsheesh has a quick tutorial floating around here somewhere covering the basics...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ders-gimp.html

I think I agree with fabio p that it would be interesting to see this with a thinner neat line.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This really looks good. I like the style and the idea behind the map. I would second using arsheesh's excellent tutorial I have used it to create many borders
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Alright, so I have a border now that's a bit better. I'm still not happy with it. One of these days I should sit down and really think about how to make a fancy border instead of this sort of stuff. But for now it'll do. Just an update on the borders today, nothing else yet - I might pull this later tonight and put up a different version, I'll be sure to include an edit message if I do. Thank you everyone for the heads up on Arsheesh's tutorial, it's a good start.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colony-Map-4.jpg 
Views:	1043 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	59401

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that border looks fine. Sometimes a very fancy border can detract from the actual map.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Looks good to me. Great job so far Psylence.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I agree with jtougas...a fancy border would probably be too distracting for this type of map. I think what you've done with this one looks really good!

Oh you all... stop, you're gonna make me blush!

But seriously, thanks for the feedback on the border. At first I wasn't all that happy with it, but the more I look at it the more I stroke my beard(Thank you no-shave November) and give a little nod of approval.

@Arsheesh - Thanks, coming from the person who made the tutorial, I appreciate the praise.

@jtougas & Neyjour - I'm definitely starting to get that impression too.

Lastly, I lied(I gotta stop doing that, seriously) I'm updating it again today. I intended to grab some coffee an work on my pencil and paper artwork, instead I spent most of the day labeling and legend(uh daaaary)-ing? Legendry? Working on the friggen Legend.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colony-Map-5.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	59409

*edit* Boosted the font size of most of my labels. Quick side notes:
    1) Yes, I forgot to add in the roads versus trade roads.
    2) Nice catch Neyjour, got it fixed already.
    Last edited by Psylence; 11-27-2013 at 10:51 PM.

The legend looks great! One minor nitpick though...it kinda bothers me how the roads on the bottom left touch the border. Maybe try shifting everything over to the right a tiny bit, so it's not touching and they're all a bit more centered in the box?

Sorry about the delay in responding but family issues have been my primary focus lately.

Anyways, the rivers and deltas all look great now. Wasn't meaning to be over critical or anything earlier.

I love the colour scheme and the labeling.

Does the legend need 'neat lines' around it? They sort of look out of place and are the wrong scale.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast