Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: November/December Lite Challenge Entry: Human Colonies of King Alfred Williby the 3rd

@Thurlor - I wasn't sure on the lines. I was debating about it. It's just a mask so I can easily remove it and I might take another look at it without. I actually scaled the lines so they're, roughly, 3-to-1 because it looked the cleanest of the options. 1-to-1 even set up opposite looked funny as did 2-to-1. I didn't try 4-to-1. But I digress, I'll take a look at it without the 'neat lines' around it again. Thanks for the feedback Thurlor. =)

As far as the rivers, oh I didn't think you were being overly critical but it's still good input. After all, for every person that voices their thought there's probably another couple that didn't or haven't yet. Besides, it made me readdress how I was doing things in some of the places, and it allowed me to explain it so others would have a chance to see what I was going for and tell me if I was successful in the execution.

@Neyjour - Addressed your comment in my post with an edit. I gotcha on that observation, already fixed it thanks.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Minor nitpick: the "Dwarven lands" label look a little odd sitting in a lake

Otherwise, awesome. The frame and cartouche are great. I'm not really a fan of the color glow style of nation border you are using, at least not in this type of map; it's cool on old-looking parchment style maps where some color is needed, but in this more colorful type it becomes too much, I think. It's probably just a matter of personal preference, but I think something like a dashed or dotted dark line could work better here.

I gave it a shot. I agree, it's better using a dashed line. Of course then it started to blend into my roads, so I had to redo my roads. That then made me realize that I could rework the roads a little and... well you know how it is. Longer story shorter, here's my newest update to the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colony-Map-6.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	59439

Looking good! I like the changes to the roads and region borders.

One teeny little thing I noticed is that the legend box needs to be moved over to the right about 1 pixel (there's a very thin line between the cream and brown), or down a pixel to create a matching thin line at the top as well. Also, maybe you could try bumping up the contrast of the land a bit? The colours on whole map look a little bit soft and hazy, which looks really nice on the ocean portion, but bumping up the contrast on the land might make it pop a bit more.

Waiting on the paper. I had to order the stuff through the internet, couldn't find a place nearby that sells decent paper. I have a couple ideas and have already started toying with the contrast and brightness a little - not to mention my paper layers themselves. Long story short, once I get the paper I'll put up the next version. Thanks for the input, Neyjour.

Sweet jeebus, friggen paper taking it's time(and me procrastinating a day)!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colony-Map-7.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	59756

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123