Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November/December Lite Challenge Entry: Human Colonies of King Alfred Williby the 3rd

Default November/December Lite Challenge Entry: Human Colonies of King Alfred Williby the 3rd

...of the Kingdom Tzantiz, the Ruler of the 5th House and Master of Cribbage. I couldn't think of a name, so the obvious choice is to ramble, because after you read it the first time, the Players forget and you can quiz them on it later.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colony-Map-1.jpg 
Views:	8439 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	59282

I used some of the bits from Ascension's tutorial on the Swiss Alps sort of map to get my started but I'm starting to slowly diverge from it. The colors will probably be place holders.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks good so far, Psylence!

I really like the mountains you have. However, the rivers seem a bit 'forced'. For example, there is an island with a very short river but a massive delta. Actually, I've noticed that there are an awful lot of deltas (too many?).

Hm... Possibly Thurlor. I might want to cut down on my deltas, specifically the ones more toward the north as the ones in the cove I think make the most sense. The one with a ton of tributaries is a tidal as that area of ground is lower and the river is slower. The one that runs from the lake is faster running, on more of a downhill slant, and wouldn't be taking the brunt of coastal wave motion is a river dominated. The one on the island to the far east as well as several others seemed like they would be wave dominated due to the motion of the ocean - but those are the ones I'll be cutting down.
    That particular one in question, on the island, I'll be reworking soon - it's supposed to be more swamp than straight delta; however, the current update doesn't have these changes in yet as I just saw these posts. =)

Thanks for the encouragement Lingon! Glad you're liking it.

And without further ado:

*edit* I lied, I went back in and fixed up the deltas some to display it correctly.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Colony-Map-2.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	59332

The paper texture is just a temporary one.
    Last edited by Psylence; 11-25-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Because I edit too much and have too much time on my hands.

Looking really good so far! And I love the purple-ish ocean. It compliments the green terrain wonderfully!

I like it and I'm curious to see how it will evolve.
    I'm not particularly fond of that frame though, a think a thinner one could be better...but it's a matter of taste, I suppose.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Wow, what a difference! This'll be really great when it's done! The swamp on the island looks very swampy now

@Neyjour - Give it a look, after you posted I went back in and just edited the picture to the newer version. I removed a couple deltas and changed that island.

@fabio p - I'm not in love with it either, it's what I had pre-made as I don't have a lot of borders yet. I wanted to get it hashed out as far as where everything is going to be, etc, etc. I might use a thinner frame as well, but I'm not sure - might just give it the illusion of a thinner frame by using some positive/negative space.

@Lingon - Thank you! I hope it will be for sure.

@Thurlor - Assuming you drop back by again, how do you feel about the rivers now? And the deltas?

Alright, in case anyone wants to toss in some specific critique, I got a couple questions.
    That Eastern island that's kinda skinny-lookin'. Does it look like swamp or jungle? I tried to do jungle, but I don't think I got jungle, I think I got swamp.

On the mainland(not the sideland) I have that tidal delta, does it look like it goes from sandy->swampy->plains-y?

The skinny island looks more like swamp to me as well. I think it may be because there's too many rivers? Maybe try a single river from each of the main mountain portions (top and bottom-left) without any branching?

With the tidal delta, your "swampy" part looks a bit too brown for that. I'd try a darker green, like what you have on the "don't know if it's swamp or jungle" island.

Want to know which island is my favourite? The one at the top left of the island "circle". I keep looking at that one and thinking how much I'd LOVE to see a full-size map for it!! I just love the general shape, and how the mountains curve around that inner portion with all the islands.

@Neyjour - Gave it a whirl. I think that might have worked. It does look a bit more jungle to me, though I'm still interested to hear what others think about it. As far as that small island, yeeeah, it's one of my favorites too.

Alright, I think this'll be the last update for today. I've added regional areas, a few cities(yet unnamed), towers & keeps(Don't worry, there will be a legend eventually), roads, and other stuff. Critique welcome, as always, and I hope you enjoy the left hand side as well. As before, this paper texture is just a hold over till I get out and buy me some paper to go all origami on.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Colony-Map-3.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	59371

OH! Almost forgot. Does anyone know how to make a nice looking border? I could use some help with that.
    Last edited by Psylence; 11-26-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast