Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Isolden (my 1st world map)

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Looking good. Your new font choices are a definite improvement, in my opinion.
    Thanks.

Just a small update. I've been reading through the summary of "Positioning Names on Maps" (thanks again for that, Abu Lafia!) and changed the positions of most of the labels. It really did make a big difference.

Going to try to get all the labels finished/added today, and then get started on the Pirate Flags.

Oh, I also got rid of the "Kingdom" labels. They just seemed to be cluttering up the map, and I couldn't get them to look right anyway (either curved or straight). So I think I'll just make some kind of companion map to show who rules which regions and territories, and use that to display the shields and flags at a larger size as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isolden (labeled) WIP-05 by Neyjour.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	5.88 MB 
ID:	85424
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hey Neyjour,
    Glad it was helpful, props to Ravs for digging out this gem, i'm only enthusiastically spreading the word . It's indeed much more readable now. I understand your decision to get rid of the "Kingdom labels" although i think they were pretty much perfectly placed. So i'm looking forward what you do with the "companion" map.

This is looking great Neyjour. How did you do the shields?

Just one minor suggestion. There's a label called 'Empire Road' just south of Caelair at the bottom that could probably be positioned so it's not upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey Neyjour,
    Glad it was helpful, props to Ravs for digging out this gem, i'm only enthusiastically spreading the word . It's indeed much more readable now. I understand your decision to get rid of the "Kingdom labels" although i think they were pretty much perfectly placed. So i'm looking forward what you do with the "companion" map.
    It really is a gem. I found it extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpes View Post
    This is looking great Neyjour. How did you do the shields?

Just one minor suggestion. There's a label called 'Empire Road' just south of Caelair at the bottom that could probably be positioned so it's not upside down.
    Thanks! I've redone that label so it follows the top curve of the road. No more head-tilting to read it...

For the shape of the shield I found a free vector outline (from Pixabay) and filled it in to create my base. Then made a blurred shadow around the edges to give it a slightly 3D effect. And the details are all done with various free brushes and clipart from deviantART. If there's anything you're interested in using, let me know and I can give you the links.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I really have to say that reading this thread is really awesome. I am such a novice when it comes to the fantasy mapping that watching this project come together has really helped me out. Great work!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112