Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Isolden (my 1st world map)

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    Yes, I understand what you mean! Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's a version with orangy/yellow highlights. I can't seem to get the results I want (and I'll probably fiddle with it some more) but hopefully this is a bit of an improvement. Of course, adding highlights bumped the brightness back up again. And I also darkened the terrain a bit more, which bumps the contrast up as well, but I think I like this dark/bright version. Gives it more of a dangerous, uninviting atmosphere, IMO.

I'm still not sure if the lava (and that zone in general) is a bit too overpowering compared to everything else. It seems to draw my eye away from the rest of the map...although, maybe that's not exactly a bad thing. Ugh! I dunno. Some opinions on that would be much appreciated!
    Maybe make the lava a bit more subtle? Real lava doesn't pool as orange everywhere, there's always a black crust on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nyiragongo_lava1.jpg 
Views:	2797 
Size:	927.2 KB 
ID:	59906

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

The map is very good, and the colors are awesome. Wonderful work!

Althaen - Sorry for the late reply! I meant to respond back then, but got sidetracked and then completely forgot... I decided to leave the lava as-is. Since this is a fantasy environment, I wasn't too worried about it not being "real life" correct, and I really, really liked the idea of a large lake of bright molten/liquid lava. Here are a couple artworks that inspired that: prison by SebastianWagner / City of Dreams by Helga-Hertz

JefBT - Thanks very much!

I still have not labeled this (and don't know when I'll get the time to do it) so I went ahead and posted the unlabeled version in my deviantART gallery: Isolden [unlabeled]
    Last edited by Neyjour; 03-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.

So, I finally installed my new PSP X4 (which can do curved text!) and decided to finish this up with labels... over a year later. LOL!

Here's what I've done so far:

Name:	Isolden (labeled) WIP-01 by Neyjour.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	5.61 MB 
ID:	85415

EDIT: I have no idea why all the red text at the top is so blurry. It looks exactly the same as the other labels in my image editor...
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 04:27 AM.

I tried using a different Chroma subsampling, and now it looks as it should.

Here's the new, non-blurry version:

Name:	Isolden (labeled) WIP-02 by Neyjour.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	5.78 MB 
ID:	85416

EDIT: Anyone who's familiar with my maps might recognize some of the names. I was able to find appropriate locations for almost all of my battlemaps.
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 04:29 AM.

Wow, this is fabulous! The colours are really striking and I love the border and the little details like the smoke coming out of the mountain. Great job!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

Nice map! Much too dark overall for my taste, but I do really love the desert! Beautiful dunes

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

I'm with Chick - it's rather dark. Perhaps brightening the landmass a bit? The ocean is fine, it doesn't need to hold the eye's attention.

I notice that the roads through forested areas are occasionally obscured by trees:

- from Sorawyn to Songdoe
    - Along the pass by General Tholmer's tomb
    - North of Lorenfall

There are six unlabeled points of interest scattered throughout the Leviathan Spine mountains and down into the lands south of them. Plus two more just east of Sorenvale.

It was neat seeing the names of your battlemaps scattered throughout. Now all you have to do is map all of the other points of interest and cities in this entire world map. Better get cracking!

ChickPea - Thanks so much! The smoke from the volcano is my personal fave detail.

chick - Thank you! Yeah, it has an overall darkness (that I know some don't care for too much), but that's what I was aiming for.

wdmartin - I've noticed that when roads are depicted like that (lines, dots, dashes, etc) they usually go over the top of everything, and don't have any "disappearing" spots in them. But I really liked the idea of: If the trees are covering the road or it's hidden behind/between mountains, you shouldn't be able to see it.

This is still a WIP, so all the unlabeled markers will eventually get labels! And I'll probably be adding several more Points of Interest and Village markers/labels.

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the battlemap names/locations! That did flash though my head for a brief moment, that I should make battlemaps for ALL of them... and then I was like, ummmm... no. LOL! But there are a few that have given me some ideas, that I actually would like to map out.

I've decided to make Heraldic Shields for the five Kingdoms, and Flags for the various Pirate Factions (in and around Avazcar).

Here's the first one, for the Kingdom of T'nol.

Name:	T'nol Heraldic Shield by Neyjour.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	85417
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 04:31 AM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast