Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Dwarf Mine

Default Another Dwarf Mine

Inspired by JackTannery's Gold Mine, I wanted to play around with the Brush Tool in Xara (Xara didn't previously have a brush tool until version 9, which I have now). In the past I've never tried to do railroad tracks as without a custom brush tool to create railroad ties, I'd have to create and place each one at a time (I was never going to do that!) So I thought I'd give a dwarven mine a shot.

I've laid almost all the tracks - I plan to place a little more length in the maze tunnel in the top left corner. The gray areas are intended mining chambers. With the Pit I'm going to attempt a tiered pit with the track ramping downward towards the bottom of the pit. The Old Pit has been exhausted of resources, so it's abandoned, used for general dumping. The main track will be bridged over this pit since it's mostly not used. A small access rail is still available. The Workshop was also mined out in the past, so is now used as an area to create and repair tools, equipment, ore cars, etc. There will be smithies and shop areas throughout the workshop. Lhoram's Cove is a cave alongside the underground river and serves as a lunch room area for miners with a famous tavern and eatery serving lunching and ale for all shifts. The Ore Car Parking area is kind of an assembly area where ore cars are placed at the end of each shift to keep the tracks less busy with unused cars.

This mine is bit more planned in design, which was intentional. I tried a different layout earlier and it was too senseless and chaotic, so this is a better attempt. Doing this is definitely inspired by JackTannery's Gold Mine map. I may even play with some lighting as well.

I'll be doing my standard photo-realistic style with cgtextures for fills using Xara Designer Pro 9, and probably include this as a sample map for my upcoming guide book - 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwarf-mine-wip.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	641.2 KB 
ID:	59284
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Moving right along...

Name:	dwarf-mine-wip1.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	59289
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Cool, lots of work to lay all that track.

Lol it sounds like you're talking about the dwarfs when you say it like that. But yeah the track is pretty cool, very organized layout.

Thanks, guys! Next post - all the chambers are complete, next onto map objects: ore cars, rail extensions, railroad bridges, structures, piers, smithies, etc.

I'm supposed to lose internet today and get it back on Wednesday, so this is probably my last post for the next few days...

GP

Name:	dwarf-mine-wip2.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	59324
    DrivethruRPG store

Part 4 of my Dwarven Mine WIP map, got some major objects created, I'm past the halfway point. I created 3D models and rendered the bridges (and shadows), and the same for giant ruby, emerald, and diamond crystals, and giant gold nuggets. I added a bit more ground detail and rubble. Now for the fiddly details like full and empty ore carts, rail stops, etc.

GP

Name:	dwarf-mine-wip3.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	59335
    DrivethruRPG store

Wonderful details!

Thanks, Bogie - I'm really trying to come up with fiddly details to get in the map. Here's the next update (since I don't know when I'll be online again...)

Added labels with some textual description on what is going on, on what will be. Stole objects from a tavern map and put it into Lhoram's Cove area, added a pier, and decided to add a shrine and infirmary soon. Included disjointed tracks in the Olde Pit and more detritus. Added a gold vein at the bottom of the pit. Darkened the terrain beneath the gemstone crystals to show them off better. Will do the Workshop and ore carts next - but tomorrow...

Exported this at 23" x 35", at 100 ppi JPG to better show the details.

GP

Name:	dwarf-mine-wip4-100.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	59338
    DrivethruRPG store

Looks great Gameprinter - I'm glad I inspired you to make this.

Thanks, Jacktannery. I decided not to do the lighting and shadows as is in JT's maps. The reason being that many will be using my maps in virtual tabletop apps like MapTools or Role20, and individuals will have their own light sources with the program accomodating shadows. If you force shadows and lighting, using a VT app is counter-intuitive for that kind of map.

Dhur Naal Dwarven Mine (final map) - finally finished this map. I got in all the details I intended, plus recommendations by others posting in the WIP threads. Enjoy!

Name:	dhur-naal-mine.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	59367
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast