Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP Kingdom of Aragual - My first attempt to create a more artificial map

Wip WIP Kingdom of Aragual - My first attempt to create a more artificial map

Today I want to start a new more artificial map and thatīs why I focussed on the midwestern Kingdom
    of Aragual, the southernmost Kingdom of the United Kindoms, located between the large Sea of Caenor
    and one of the continents biggest rivers, the River Tharion.Itīs territory is covered with highlands
    and mountains and southwards the River Tharion starts the Steppes and Drylands, the unknown lands for
    most of the Kingdoms inhabitants. The climate is kind of warm and mostly dry and the inhabited areas
    are mostly to find at the coasts or the rivers. 120 years ago the Kingdom was conquered and devasted
    by the Hordes of the God-Emperor Khal-Lamedon. Just the western parts of the Kingdom, the former
    Kingdom of Lusithiane defy the Hordes and stayed independant.

The war and the following occupation took their toll and the Kingdoms population declined down to one
    million, where there were about three nillions before the war. But history ment well with Aragual and
    so, after three years of war there were only half a year of occupation, after which the Kingdom was
    freed again by the great advane of the United Kingdoms from the north, which banished the unwanted
    occupiers. After this the Kingdom returned to the United Kingdoms an became an important Member with
    upcoming new strenght. Aragual is now protecting the Pass of Tharion and itīs new fleet is the
    backbone of the United Kingdoms.

Today Aragual has about 2 million inhabitants again, most of them allotted to the seven great cities
    (another seven cities were destroyed in the war. One of them rested totally destructed, the other six
    were partly rebuild and ame to new live)

But now lets start. The first picture shows, where on the continent the kingdom is located (the map
    belongs to my other "world thread" The second is a first start with coastlines, rivers and land
    masses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aragual.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	59327

Name:	Aragual Kopie.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	59328

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Very nice! looking forward to following this!

Is the red line in the second map the border of your kingdom? If so, perhaps you should move the whole map to the south a little bit, so that all of the country is in focus.

Thanks Llanagh. And Freodin, you are right. my aim was to show the whole caenor Sey but it doesnīt make sense when the Kingsom itself must be cutted off in order to do so. I will rework this.

Its my first photoshop attempt and the difficulty will be that in vector graphics size doesntīt matter too much but in Photoshop you must decide how large your Map will be and afterwards its not simple to change. So far itīs better to do this now.

Next step will be to add themes like towns, streets and so on. Additionally to the main map there will be thematic maps, which explains the forthgoing process. Iīm most afraid of the mountain theme, Iīnot quite sure, how they would/should look like, but Iīll try my very best. Thus Iīm happy to be here and to get some help and comments.

So the better focussed version:

Name:	Aragual II.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	862.2 KB 
ID:	59738

And as you can see I added the main roads through the kingdom, the major cities and the secondary borders of the kingdomīs regions

Now I attached the mountains, the Aragonic Alps

Name:	Aragual III.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	855.2 KB 
ID:	59740

Some modifications in fonts, attached a compass rose and added some city names...

Anyone with an idea how to draw streets in PS? I mean double lines - the simple lines are not sufficiant, I think

Name:	Aragual IV Kopie.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	782.6 KB 
ID:	59744

Today I added some watchtowers of the kinddomīs union, recoloured the sea and added a small city map of the Kngdoms Empire. Iīm thinking of cutting some 20% of the southern map, because itīs not too necessary for my map. So maybe the small exterritory on the coast in the south west is not important enaugh an could be neglected...letīs see.

Name:	Aragual III Kopie.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	754.1 KB 
ID:	60226

i still got problems in drawing streets with double linings, so if anyone got an idea....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aragual III Kopie.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	648.2 KB 
ID:	60225  
    Last edited by randigpanzrall; 01-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Well, the last days, I decided to work a little further at my Aragual project, leaving the path of an artifical map (for the moment) towards a more realistic modern map.

Later I will take the step back again....

Name:	Aragual Kopie.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	112208

Now, I wish you all good days

I kind of liked the style you had going for this map back in 2014, to be honest. I hope you'll return to it.

Is this a setting you are developing in its entirety? Do you normally work on it in German? Just curious.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast