Thread: Greetings from Louisiana

Default Greetings from Louisiana

Big fan of this site, longtime lurker.

I am just amazed at the work that exists on this site. I was always curious about fantasy cartography but I never was savvy at drawing on paper or on graphic programs. I am really curious to know what got a lot of you interested in making maps?

I finally decided to join because I want to learn from the pros. I've mostly lurked in the tutorial section. I do want to learn how to create some very basic maps. I am learning with GIMP at the moment

Do you guys recommend GIMP or Photoshop for a beginner? Or does it not matter?

Whatever tips you guys have, I would be most appreciative of it

AS a beginner in GIMP myself I'd recommend you jump right in it's the best way to learn. If you want to do something, look up the relevant tutorials here or on Youtube and just go for it. SO just keep hacking away and it'll get easier.

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the Guild Boloburn! Well both are great programs, but GIMP is free and open-source, big bonuses in my book. I think I'd recommend it to begin with before you decide whether or not to invest a bunch of money in PS.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh