Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Esnia - Commission map

What sort of textures do you use, Max? I use some rust style textures but they aren't quite like yours. I'm wondering how you get the effect you do.

Very nice work. I love the shading style of the mountains and the style of the forests in particular. The whole thing really jells well and has a nicely consistent style to it. And of course the graphic elements as others have mentioned are great.

I think my only critique is that the text legibility isn't ideal in a number of places. Between the lighter shade of the text itself, and the fairly noisy texture application, it gets a bit hard to read, especially against bolder elements like the mountains.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks much guys, comments appreciated!
    @ Ilanthar and Eilathen : Sorry but I'm afraid that you have to deal with this resolution on this one.
    @ Larb : I often use a combination of several textures mixed with different blending modes, sometimes with brush works. Here I use 3 textures (1 homemade, 1 parchment texture and 1 scanned old book page) with a few grungy brush work on an additional layer.
    @ChainsawXIV : you're pretty right on this, I'll have to improve that. Since I don't really like plain outlines on labels, some are often pretty hard to make them pop up without looking too obvious (especially mountains ones where the background is busy)

The rivers look wonderful. It's a very pleasant map, kudos.

Thanks Fallconius glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Since I don't really like plain outlines on labels, some are often pretty hard to make them pop up without looking too obvious (especially mountains ones where the background is busy)
    Oh, believe me. I feel you. I've come to accept that the labels are the hardest part of getting a map just so. At least for me. There's always some kind of hassle with 'em. :p

Indeed, it's one of the most important thing on map but I must say this is always a part I like to do

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Looking good!

I quite like this one -Max- especially the colors chosen. Well done.

Thanks Tim, that's quite funny to see that sometimes some simple work can be pretty much efficient

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12