Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Map of Westeros [GoT/ASoIaF]

Wip WIP - Map of Westeros [GoT/ASoIaF]

Decided to practice making large regional maps by doing a hand-drawn map of one of my favourite novel series and television shows.

I took an existing map and blew it up to fit the paper I had and divided in so I could print it off on my little B&W laser printer. I then cut out the general continent shape and taped the pieces together to make a template that I outlined and added the islands later.

So far I have added detail to the coasts and penciled in the rivers, lakes, and mountains freehand. Next step is to pencil in some titles/labels and start inking in.

Sorry for the crappy photo, it's too large to scan or anything like that. Questions and comments welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	59426  

Is it wrong of me to say that as much as I love the series I don't particularly like the maps so much?

Anyway That is looking good. You might want to put in a scale, it drives me mad to no end that one isn't included with the maps in the books. On Stannis' march to Winterfell from Deepwood Motte the distance is said to a hundred leagues. I don't think anyone reckoned on any sort of projection for this map so I'm assuming it is all "actual size" but if it isn't that means the distortion from the top to bottom is probably pretty severe.

That is going to look fantastic once you start getting in in. Are you planning on any sort of colouring to the map or is going to be B/W?

I agree with Falconius, the continent have a really odd shape but you did a good job. it's rather pale, are you going to digitalize it ?

Falconius, please avoid spoilers.

Yeah, I agree with both you and Azelor, the shape of the continents make the maps look a little off, they definitely aren't my favourite maps from a fantasy novel series.

I've pencilled in a scale, luckily the map I used for a template had one, it's 1cm=50 miles. The entire piece is approximately 75cm long x 35 wide. So looking at a total length of around 3500 miles for the continent. And yeah I believe there is some distortion making the north appear larger, similar to the mercator projection on Earth.

Thanks! And yes I will be colouring it, got a start on some of the elements last night. I rarely do just plain ink/BW maps, they can feel abit sparse especially for large maps like this. I'll post an update later today.

No digitizing, unfortunately I have yet to acquire the skills necessary to do that. I don't even know how I will scan the thing cause it's so large. But don't worry about how light it is, once I ink it in and add detail features will be much more defined.

Wip Update

Made some progress, currently I have finished the rivers and am half-way done the mountains and forests. I also have added some labels and titles and added some detail to the border... Not sure what I am going to fill the gap in the border for the final product but open to suggestions.

There's also a roughed in title and scale at the top right, I may change it. Thoughts?

Name:	photo (3).jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	59446  

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Falconius, please avoid spoilers.
    Not much of a spoiler there, but I'm sorry I didn't even think of it. I was just trying to help him with the scale since that's the only mention of one I can think of in the books.

Yes the scale is pretty unclear but I always had the impression that the time for traveling was too short considering the difference of climates between the regions. But anyway, it's fantasy.

@ A.Woods : The border seems pretty slim to add elements. It's fine as it is now.

Wip

UPDATE II:

Finished both the mountains and forests. Also labeled many of the bays, capes, and islands and inked in the title and scale.

Next step will be adding the castles, holds, villages. cities, and ruins. But for now I feel like it's really coming together!

Name:	IMG_2497.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	59479  

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This is starting to look really good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast