Thread: Goeiendag from Belgium.

Default Goeiendag from Belgium.

Hey everyone,

My name is Neite, I'm 20 years old and live in Belgium.
    I've been reading Fantasy since I could read and got addicted to it after my dad gave me an original copy from 1976 from The Lord of the Rings.

I recently started writing my own book, inspired by Tolkien, Jordan, Sanderson, Feist... and for that, I needed to make maps ofcourse. Thanks to r/worldbuilding, I found this forum. So here I am

Here are some of my first creations for my book, tey are drawn by hand and I added the name with paint.net:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UZ3LH5l.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	59462

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kBOVPyl.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	59463

I hoep to learn a lot here and cya

~Neite

Welcome to the Guild Neite! Wish you all the best in writing your book. As to the maps, I don't think your scanner does them justice. Your outline looks nice but it's a bit fuzzy. You may wish to either invest in a better scanner, or purchase a tablet so that you can draw mads digitally. This is especially the case if you wish to publish these maps. Also, you may wish to check out some of the tutorials here which can help give you some direction about how to add color and texture to your maps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the tips, but I don't have a scanner I use my camera to take pictures of the map. My scanner should be working again in a few days

The B&W one looks pretty good already. The colored one has some implausible rivers - real ones won't connect sea to sea. Or if that middle body of water is more of a lake, raised above the sea, one won't see multiple outlets. Take a look at Redrobes' most excellent tutorial on How to get your rivers in the right place. It'll give you a boost in believability.

Oh, and welcome to the guild - and rep-worthy for starting with maps in the very first post!
    Last edited by jbgibson; 12-08-2013 at 12:01 AM.