Thread: 1st Battlemaps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map 1st Battlemaps

Hi all,

These maps I created using the toolset provided on the Neverwinter Nights 2 pc game, I wanted alot of outdoor battlemaps for my campaign and due to long stints between playing sessions I was able to create these maps in 3d and take screenshots to use as battlemaps and handouts for the players to get a feel for what they were looking at. I still run a classic pen and paper game face to face however I use d20 pro for the battle board on a 42" Plasma set next to my gm table. The players I gm for like them but I lose detail/clarity on the maps when trying to zoom in. What software is available to create cleaner battlemaps?

Cheers for any advice, Jarrick out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp.PNG 
Views:	694 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	59484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roadside Encounter.PNG 
Views:	208 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	59485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	59486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roadway.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	59487  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats a pretty neat idea. I use GIMP (a free open source software) to create battlemaps. It's a raster program and there is a bit of a learning curve but it is very powerful.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Depends what you are really after but off the top of my head...

ViewingDale - created by RedRobes, one of our members. I think you can still get it.
    Maptools - free VTT software you can import your maps into and use from there.
    Zoom.it or Deep Zoom - Microsoft technologies that allow image zooming. Used to be SeaDragon. I have only barely messed with these at all.

Obviously, if you are going to zoom into an image you can only go as close as you design for. It's not like the software will make up pixels you haven't created.

ps. I know I'm leaving a bunch out but it's late and I'm just laying in bed with my laptop before I fall asleep so I hope this helps.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Nice looking map doing a nice job