Thread: Updting Older World Map (Black and White) Comments Please

Wip Updting Older World Map (Black and White) Comments Please

So this is one of my older World Maps that was original done by a great cartographer, and I needed to up date it for some names and locations....SO I added my touches and flairs...This is only one continent of three....Let me know what you all think!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kralis_Talos.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	83948

Any comments? love the view...but what can I do better..?

This is one of the maps where it is difficult to give constructive criticism.

It isn't a bad map. It is clear, the brushes work well, the font fits for the theme, there are no glaring mistakes.

It is also not an extraordinary map. Pure black and white, not a hint at tone or texture. Very simple, very plain style of execution.

Still, there are some ways to improve this map, even if you want to keep it in this simple style.

First of all: consistency in execution.
    There is an obvious difference between the hand-drawn linework and the various brush sets. This is always a problem when you use pre-fabricated brushes... it is difficult to find matching pieces for all the objects and sizes.
    Best way to avoid that: do your own artwork. Make your own brushes to do the quick work, and draw individual objects were necessary.

By doing that, you also make sure that your linework keeps consistent.

I don't have too much to say. It's quite a nice map. I can get a feeling for the world which is nice. The hex grid is a bit annoying however..

I noticed there was a landlocked sea. In reality that wouldn't make too much sense I don't think, but perhaps that's what you need for your purposes. And of course you can use the excuse that in a fantasy world anything is possible!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hey...Thanks for the comments! I prefer black and white maps over color, once I get through with this I am going to try and colorize it.

I put the Hexes in to see how it would work if printed out for travel purposes

Josiah...

Thanks!! There are actually two land locked seas. One was the result of a cataclysmic battle and the other is very low lands filling full of water over the thousands of years, its really a massive fresh water seas (or would it be a gigantic lake??)

Quote Originally Posted by nadragul501 View Post
    Hey...Thanks for the comments! I prefer black and white maps over color, once I get through with this I am going to try and colorize it.
    Oh, black and white maps are perfectly fine and fill important roles.

They just offer one less option for eye candy.