• Glauca - By cudfather

0 0%
  • The World of Near - By madbird-valiant

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: November Challenge Voting - Map a Globe

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Couldn't decide between Lingon and Carbus, so voted for them both.

Seeing Lingon's as an actual complete map, combined with the style just looks great.

Carbu's presentation and the amount of effort and detail in the layout is pretty amazing.

Yay for the two D20 icosahedrons! I first thought I'd try to do mine on an origami waterbomb... but I couldn't figure out how to transform a projection I could think in, to a sheet of paper I could fold. Not that I've ever folded a very nice origami balloon. There is a real-world map out there on the interwebs to fold up and blow up, but the faces looked so scattered I didn't want to try. Carbus, you created that gorgeous map in 20 hours? Wow. What I get in 20 hours is usually about the crayon-on-paper-towel stage of beauty. I'm slooooooow. For such a work of art to also be pretty quick is double amazing.

But it just didn't wind up as a physical thing. Lingon, yours wound up spherical AND was a marvel of mappery, so you get my vote.

I'll put up a thread showing my experiment in a bit better form, after the voting's done. Basically, as far as my entry got, I proved to myself I need a substrate to mount the gores on. So I invested $1.68 in a standard kid's rubber ball, about 8 inches diameter, and I've been snapping some how-to shots. Thanks for the votes, y'all!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Hey guys thank you all for your kind words!
    I voted are for Lingon (not much to say have I) and jbgibson, both of them tried something physical, that demands a lot of work. This is something I respect, I suck at physical things, and since my only skills remains digitally I went to use the G.Projector as a base for my map. And also I could finally finish a World Map, something I wanted to do since I began mapping, that`s why I keep on doing this challenges, they give me an incentive to try new things!

Great maps guys! And congrats to Lingon, well deserved!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Just realized I hadn't voted yet I chose Jbgibson, for making a physical globe, and Carbus, for making an awesome world map. (Yes, I changed my mind about your map not being globey enough, Carbus )

Thanks a bunch for the comments and votes, everyone! I've wanted to make that globe for ever, so it was really great to finally get it done

Well this was a very close contest this month. Congrats to Lingon for a lovely map, and Carbus, even though you didn't take home the prize this month, you had an outstanding entry.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Congrats, Lingon! Well-deserved.

Congratz Lingon!

Very well done, Lingon - that's a map I'll enjoy going back to, to peruse repeatedly.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks guys, now I just need two more and I'm almost in the Diamond league Nah, but really, big thanks to everyone here at the Guild, without the stuff I've learnt from you I'd not even have dared to start this globe. And I really wanted a globe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12