Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trying to create map

Guild Novice

lingon there is a program that can randomly generate world. Go to youtube.com and type " mapping an entire fantasy world: tutorial 1: the basics". I haven't used it myself And know too little to know if it would help.

siriuslupus

What software(s) are you using to do this? I know that photosop don't always give the same results but I don't know for other softwares. When you calculated the area, did you clicked on the border or the interior ? Is it possible that you calculated the area covered only by the border ?

There is a way to evaluate the area covered by a country. Draw a grid and count the squares if they are more then half full.

Your program is called Fractal terrain and it can generate world roughly, not precise enough for what you want to do. It's good for people that need a quick world without knowing what they want it to look like.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-05-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Guild Novice

Azelor nothing has been done on computer yet, everything I have done so far has been with pencil and paper including trying to find the area of my one kingdom. Trying to do this on computer is something I am seriously looking at.

siriuslupus

Yes, I think it will make things much easier.

Guild Novice

Azelor do you know of a program that will at least display the area of an enclosed space?

siriuslupus

yes you can calculate the area covered by a specific zone with the Gimp (free)
    select the zone with the fuzzy selection tool
    then go to windows/histogram and check the number of pixels

Guild Novice

Azelor what do you know about graphic, geospacial information systems, like is it hardware or software or both? When I first started this whole computer cartography thing I did a little research, one of the possibilities was "graphic or geospacil information systems". After I checked it out at wikipedia it sounded like it could use statistical to generate a map. If you don't know anything do you know someone who does?

siriuslupus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12