Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to create map

Guild Novice

Default trying to create map

I started to create a map on pencil and paper, some of the aspects of the map are numarical ( the terrain being a percentage of the map, regions listed as so many miles square) and others pictorial. Some where something went wrong and nothing seemed to fit anymore. On the picture my differant regions needed it's own scale so that I could fit the terrain in it, when I created my map all the regions where built using the same scale. I was hoping that there was a computer program that I could use to make the two data sets work together. Another thing I will be needing the map to do is being modified after it is created, as well as be able to show numarical data, like villages per square mile, and have distance tools. I am hoping that there is a program that already exists that can do all of this. Finally I know little or nothing about map making.

siriuslupus

It sounds to me like you want to keep two sets of records, a map (or set of maps) and a set of notes. Although, drawing the map from an in-world perspective, with the data handwritten where it's relevant, would be pretty cool. I do have a question for you - did any of your numbers come from math regarding circles or globes? Mapping a whole world is very hard, because it is impossible to accurately map a sphere on a 2-dimensional surface. If this is the case, consider doing a few separate overlapping 'region' maps, so you don't have to worry as much about the curvature.

Good luck, and hang in there!

You want to auto map using numbers or you already have the map and want to display the statistics on it ?

If it's the first: I have no ideas but if it's the latter I used a software a couple of years ago. There is a free version but I'm not sure how it can be used on custom worlds : MapInfo MapBasic, Desktop GIS - MapInfo.com

Guild Novice

Azelor automapping would be about right, I'm trying to fill in a framework using numarical information. The framework is the boarders of my kingdoms, and my kingdoms belong to the same continent. on a side note "Desktop GIS" ?

siriuslupus
    Last edited by siriuslupus; 12-02-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: missing info

Guild Novice

tomalak no I'm not trying to do a globe. I am trying to take two sets of data, one pictorial and another numarical, to make one map (stictly 2d thought 3d terrain would be nice). I have a continent that has several kingdoms in it, I have the boarders of the kingdoms drawn up but no terrain (or anything else for that matter). Thanks for the encouragement.

siriuslupus
    Last edited by siriuslupus; 12-02-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: missing info

You have algorithms that correspond to the borders ?

Guild Novice

Azelor can you tell me what you mean by algorithms. When I created my boarders I was taking the area, in numerals, and drawing them out by hand what that area would look like.

siriuslupus

I mean a vector like in illustrator or inskape, it define a line trajectory between two points. If you only have something like kingdom A is 300 000 km2 but no other info about it the program won't do anything about it.

But if you already draw it why do you need the statistics ? You just want to know if what is on the map matches the stats? I know how to calculate area based on pixels if you have the scale.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'm unfortunately not aware of a program that can do what you are in need of either, but it would be an extremely interesting one. I've got no coding experience at all so I don't know how easy it'd be to make, but maybe one of the software developers here would be up for it? An app where you type in percentage of land on the planet, number of continents, number of nations, area of the nations, which nations need to border which, which nation needs coast, and any other fun parameters, and then generates a randomized map from those data, would be quite useful.

Anyone?

Guild Novice

Azelor I started with statistics and drew the boarders based on the statistics, and the boarders have nothing in them. It was when I was trying to fill them with terrain that things fell apart. I was finding that I needed to find a different scale for each kingdom for the stats to work right, and I made all the kingdoms from the same scale.

As for calculating area I have a side task for you, only one of my kingdoms has been drawn up and when I try calculating it's area I keep getting a different number. If I scanned it would you be able to accurately calculate it's area, and yes the scale will be on the scan?

siriuslupus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast