Thread: Tsym Online first draft concept map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected 8 Pound Studios's Avatar

Default Tsym Online first draft concept map

Hello Everyone,

This is the first draft map a made using Hires images I took from google earth and splicing them together. I wanted to get an ultra realistic look/feel to the map and although it still has a lot of work, like the edges meeting the water I think it came out ok for a first draft.

Let me know what you think please and any advice would be much appreciated!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/MEXwxRa16ZC_uIOYXucfRdLnf7vv7HaByMAV-nNhfqE=s845-no

It would not let me post the image so I just put the link.

Thanks all!
    Chris Huff

Well, stitching together real-world imagery can be really effective. Take a look at Guild member a2area's work.

Your patchwork seems to be placed at different illumination angles, though. I can easily imagine earthly mosaics needing to incorporate material taken from wildly different seasons and times of day, but as a map your plausibility will be enhanced by no distracting differences. You're right that the coastline treatment needs work - the vagueness doesn't work.

Those two SE lobes have odd rivers, for the terrain indicated.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected 8 Pound Studios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Well, stitching together real-world imagery can be really effective. Take a look at Guild member a2area's work.

Your patchwork seems to be placed at different illumination angles, though. I can easily imagine earthly mosaics needing to incorporate material taken from wildly different seasons and times of day, but as a map your plausibility will be enhanced by no distracting differences. You're right that the coastline treatment needs work - the vagueness doesn't work.

Those two SE lobes have odd rivers, for the terrain indicated.

Thanks for the Feedback! I'll keep working on it!
    Chris Huff