Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Style test, 18th century/fantasy mix

Love this. So I understood you correctly: the original is a watercolor/ink painting? I really like that the texture of the watercolor paper can be seen.

Beautiful job, as always! I'm really curious to see more of this, and I really hope you're able to finish it! I honestly don't know which version I like best, regarding the colour. The colourful one is so lovely, but I also really like the desaturated look as well.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I really like where this is going.

Bit of a pity you won't show the forests, but you're right, most political maps don't show them. But IF you decide to paint in a few forests, I'd go for the same ones you prefer (the green background with a few scattered triangles, if I'm correct). I gotta say, I really like the big stretch in the north of that map, but it doesn't fit the rest of the map, really.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to your new project!

First off, I echo the praise of everyone else. I like the saturated version best.

The white glow behind the text seems a little off to me. Maybe making it a tad less pure colored? I dunno... that's one of those things I'd spend hours tweaking. Heh...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I still think your map is a bit blurry, so maybe sharpen or rescan it in highter resolution would help. BUT, I love your details on even this small part. Can we se more?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks everyone
    Tinyaltar: Yup, it's a watercolor painting I scanned and labeled digitally. In the real version, I think I'll do the graticule digitally too.
    Neyjour: Thanks, I'm still unsure too! I like colors… But I've done a lot of colorful maps lately, so I'll probably choose the desaturated look here. Probably.
    Llannagh: True, the northern forest doesn't fit very well here. I'll be using it in a commission map soon though I think you're right about the scattered triangles, that's the most suitable style here. Thanks for the feedback!
    WillyWombat: I agree, I'm not to happy with the glow either. I'll have to work some more on that.
    SK: Yeah, it's blurry, hehe… I actually just doubled the image size to get the bigger version, if I'd have taken a new scan instead it'd have turned out sharper. So that's what I'll do next time! And like I said before, this section is all there is right now, the rest is just white paper I hope to be able to start the big one soon, just have to wrap up some commissions first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12