Thread: Fantasy Map for Novel (WIP)

Wip Fantasy Map for Novel (WIP)

Well I took a little time today to hammer out a start. This is my first official try at making a map. The general shape is just Photoshop using Clouds and some brushes, then more filters. Lot's to do -including reading the tutorials everyone keeps referring to. It'll probably be mostly black and white, and I'll be looking for some of the symbols I saw around the forum.

My main goal is to help me plan the actions and spring some ideas for a novel (book) I am writing since I started out as a pantser. I am not sure if I will proceed beyond the basic maps, or will be able to get a more experienced mapper to formalize it all if I can raise the money - the reason being that I have been playing with the mapping instead of writing and I'm afraid I'll get lost (I like exploring new things)

I'm not sure if there are any overhead canyon maps on the forums but I want to put canyons south of Illia near to the end of the esarpment in the south. Mountains on both coasts inside the escarpment - Illia is basically a big valley, the remenant of a huge inland sea that was 'drained' (except for the river that remains in the center) when the geological event that formed the great escarpment occured. The river leaves Illia in a series of water falls and the deep river cuts through the canyons and is not naviagable for much of its length due to the dangerous rapids. Travel south requires herculean effort, porting across large distances, through wild areas, and trecherous terrain using the bits of river that are calmer etc I want to portray this as very rough terrain so that the people at Thracos and surrounding areas are living largely separated and disconnected from the main country of Illia to which it belongs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	65292
    Last edited by stormweasel; 06-27-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: quick colored ocean to make border more obvious