Thread: Tryouts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Default Tryouts

Hey everybody.

Haven't had a lot of time lately, but some new WIPs have inspired me and since I didn't feel like working on my main project right now, I played around a little. I've always been a fan of pencil drawings, so I tried a map style in Corel Paint.

Don't know if I'm ever going to finish this particular map, but I thought I'd throw it in here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maptest.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	59565

Cheers, have a nice time!

I'm a serious fan of that mountain range.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    I like, no love the mountains. Well done.

Tracker

Thanks all, and thanks for reminding me of this thread.

I did some more doodling, mainly a study of perspectives with mountain ranges. The forests serve to demonstrate how other features would look with those mountains.

The missing shading/coloring (that's another issue I'm currently struggling with), how messed up is the perspective of those bottom ranges? I personally like em better, because it lets the observer kind of look "behind" the mountains, but I'm unsure as to if that perspective is "valid".

Name:	Studies.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	60074

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

If you plan to draw on some iso/perspective style, you might want to use some iso grid to help you define the right perspective. For now I don't thinks the forests perspective matches the mountains perspective.

Thanks for the feedback Max. Do you think that both mountains don't fit in with the forest? Or just the bottom one?

I'm not really going for isometric. It just botheres me that whenever I see a map with mountains like the ones I did on top, it looks like a bowl to me, at least often.

So this is one of the attempts. The part that says "big spot" even where I sort of understand where to put stuff. It still looks somewhat awkward. But for the most part it's just big empty spaces where I'm not sure I understand exactly how to use the space. So if you can see what I'm doing wrong. And here's a second attempt.

Name:	mountains bad.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	793.3 KB 
ID:	60135 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	915.7 KB 
ID:	60138

Oh I was working on another one. It sorta looks better maybe but still it's not exactly clicking.

Name:	mountain understanding.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	60136
    Last edited by Socks; 01-05-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Okay, I did a quick sketch:

Name:	Mountaindemo.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	60140

It's just a quick thing, that's why the perspective's a bit screwed, but I hope it helps anyway.
    IMO the third step takes quite a bit of imagination, so you get interesting ridges, crooks and general formations.
    I think the perspective bit is the tricky one. You have to keep the horizon in mind and then have the ridge facing to you go lower than the ones on the sides.

I hope I could help you a bit, be it with pointing you to the thread that helped me or with what I did here!

Okay, I think I have an idea of what you're struggling with. I guess in the picture with "big spot" you marked the area that was giving you a hard time? (Sorry, couldn't make sense of you explanation above... ) It looks like you drew in a ridge line but couldn't manage to "hide other stuff behind", if you know my meaning.

I'll draw a quick step-by-step of how I did my mountains. Might take few minuts, though.