Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** December Challenge - Map a 5 Room Dungeon ***

Post *** December Challenge - Map a 5 Room Dungeon ***

Some time back there was a very interesting article over at Role Playing Tips on The 5 Room Dungeon. The basic idea is to create a quick and interesting one shot adventure type of scenario involving a complex with just 5 rooms. To make things interesting each room has a distinctive feature:

1. Entrance Guardian - The reason the dungeon hasn't been plundered before (e.g. trap, lost key, literal guardian);
    2. Puzzle or Role Playing Challenge - this room ought to allow access to both rooms 3 and 4;
    3. Red Herring - something about this room looks appealing but investigating it turns out to be a mistake;
    4. Climax, Big Battle or Conflict - this is where the big boss is, or where the climax of the plot leads;
    5. Plot Twist - a room that features something unexpected that takes the story in a new direction;

I'm paraphrasing quite a lot here and I would recommend that you read the full post in the link above if you decide to do the challenge. So the challenge just is to map a 5 room dungeon according to the above format. It doesn't have to be a "fantasy" dungeon, nor even a "dungeon" as we typically understand it. What does need to be included is the following:

• A five room complex of some sort;
    • Some form of explanation of what's happening in each room (a key would be nice but a simple explanation will do).

One other thing, apparently they ran a contest over at RP Tips for writing a 5 Room Contest and if you are looking for inspiration or even just some examples you may want to check this out.

Please include the following in your entry threads:

Title each new thread December 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of January, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.
    Last edited by arsheesh; 12-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.

excellent!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Maybe it`s a stupid question, but I`ll ask it anyway. Does it have to be an actual room? I mean can it be another thing with the same mechanics, like 5 islands or 5 planets that are somewhat conected, but you must do something to go to the next?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbus View Post
    Maybe it`s a stupid question, but I`ll ask it anyway. Does it have to be an actual room? I mean can it be another thing with the same mechanics, like 5 islands or 5 planets that are somewhat conected, but you must do something to go to the next?
    It can be another thing with the same mechanics I'd say. Either one of your suggestions sound interesting to be presented in this manner.

Well I thought I'd wait for a while before jumping into challenges... but this one speaks to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Carbus View Post
    Sure, as long as the connection between them is made clear.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Well I am curious, what you guys will come up with - I decided to pass on this one ...

This one is definitely doable for me and I do need to work on my dungeon mapping.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Ooh, I really want to enter this! I've never tried dungeon mapping and the 5 room setup with determined functions seems like a pretty good entry point. Probably won't be able to find the time this month though, so I think I'll just sit back and watch

Where be the entries?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast