Thread: Mountains - What do you think?

Blog Entries

Default Mountains - What do you think?

Hey! Working on a map in photoshop, and I decided to do my mountain ranges a little different than normal. Usually I just do a simple "^" mark in black and scatter them all over, but that's pretty simple... In the past I played around with using a layer with bevel and emboss w/ texture for mountain, but that always looked too stiff, I thought. But I decided to try it again and try and make it a little more rugged and take away that crisp look and I ended up with these.

So what do you all think? Too messy? Just right? What would you change, if anything? Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curvy Island.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	59628

And as for the rest of the map, like the legend, don't critique it too hard I didn't put as much effort into the rest of it, cause it's still a work in progress

They look quite good, if a bit unnatural. I think it's the color that causes that impression - they look to be extensions of the grasslands they rise from, rather than peaks of barren rock.

It looks very much like my Xara created top down mountain ranges - very good, Larion.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    I like the definition of the coastlines and the shoals being represented on the map. I also thing the top down of the mountains are well done. I do have to agree the colors of the mountains are off and I can not say which way.

Tracker