Thread: Is semicircular road possibile with Photoshop?

Question Is semicircular road possibile with Photoshop?

Hey guys, as I said in my introduction post, I'm a newbie in this map drawing world (and in graphic world too, sadly), so I'm sorry if my question could be silly.
    I'm trying to draw my first map and I'm following some (a lot of) guides on youtube to understand how and what I can do with Adobe Photoshop CS6. The problem is that my city should have semicircular roads, I tried to draw a circumference and scratch it out on a half, but using shapes (rectangles, triangles or circumferences) oblige me to get a new Level that I can't modify - unless I wish modify that precise shape that I've just drawn.

I've tried to draw a circumference by myself, but the result is absolutely bad (I've no drawing tablet so I work with my mouse and this is even more hard ). How can I

You can do that if the use the elipse in the shape menu. Draw the elipse as a path. Then go to the path menu and right click on what you just draw to add a border. This will pixelize the path on the active layer. Then, erase all unwanted parts of the circle.

I just need to say that I have CS3 in french, so the wording might be different as I don't know the exact names in english.

Amazin, thanks a lot Azelor!

And what about line shape? In the guide which I'm following the artist use a high dimension of a line shape to draw buildings (which is different, he explains, by drawing them with the square shape, 'cause with the line shape you can easily rotate "buildings"). The problem is that in my shape command, in CS6, I have just square, circle, polygon, personal shape and line that allow you to create just arrow...I don't know why...

I'm not sure I understand, it might be better if you could post the tutorial's link. Normally, all shapes can be rotated. But you say that you don't have the option to draw a simple line?

Yes. I don't know if I had to open another thread, in any case this is the link to the tutorial that I'm following. It's a very interesting one and the author use a "line shape" - that you can rotate immediatly, whithout using other commands, just moving your mouse - instead of a simple "square shape" that you can rotate just using other commands, different from the "square shape" command.
    The problem is that with CS6 I have no simple "line shape".

Ok Now I understand what he did. But here it says that CS6 have that kind of tool : Vector Drawing Tools | Understanding Adobe Photoshop CS6 | Adobe TV

In the geometry options menu, you need to deselect the arrowhead feature of your line tool. Here's an image to show you where to find it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line_tool.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	59741
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Finally! Thanks a lot, guys Now I can finish my really bad map

Yes, what you're looking for is the "curve" tool. Great flexibility once you get over the learning curve.