Thread: Help on Building of a map I already created.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Josh Devine

Default Help on Building of a map I already created.

Drawing from a lot of inspiration from posts on here and following some guides here I made this map. Using cloud filters and stuff I managed to make this map, however Im kinda at a loss of how to expand upon it properly both in realism of the land and making it fit into the other map. I would love any input and any help and advice this is my first map. I used photoshop btw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town names.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	59662

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for.

What you posted is a nice start for a map, but from your text it seems you are talking about two maps. Are there two maps that you want to integrate?

In this map here, there is one thing that almost instantly caught my eye: the folds in your paper texture. These marks should, obviously, happen where the paper was folded. But I just cannot figure out where this paper was meant to be folded. You should look into that.

Another thing is your rivers. They almost disappear in your map and would profit from a little more emphasize.

Last point I found important is your text. In my opinion, the bold, black font you use is too dominating. You could try to either reduce the opacity or change it to something more subtle. If you want something fancy, there are a lot of free caligraphic fonts out there. Persoanlly, I would go for a simple serif font.

The layout and composition of your map are really good all in all, and I like the subtle colour schema you used. It will be interesting to see how you will go on.

As Freodin said, the black marks placement does not make sense but the overall texture is pretty good.

Freodin: I think he meant that he wants to expand his actual map.

Sadly, there is no magical solution, you will need to play with the random shapes from the random cloud filter or draw them yourself. You can use this as a reference. It's made with Gimp but the same could be done in Photoshop. http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ve-method.html
    and : http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu....html#post7096

Lastly, I see that you combined different mountain brushes with different opacity and different light orientation. You will need to look into this to make them more consistent. I like these mountains and usually I use one or the other but not both at the same time.