Thread: On Keeping References

Info On Keeping References

We have received some site feedback suggesting that it would be helpful if the Guild offered a way for those seeking map commissions to check into the credentials and references of potential cartographers prior to commissioning them. After some discussion we've reached the decision that while this would indeed be useful we do not wish to set up any structures that would cause the Guild to stand in a mediating role between cartographer and client.

However it is possible to create an informal, voluntary reference system based on tools already at hand. If you are a cartographer here at the Guild who wishes to use the map requests section to look for jobs then you may want to consider setting up a separate "Commissions" portfolio album. In it you could place all of the work you have done for previous clients. In the comment section you can quote any references you've received for the corresponding maps by former clients (or get in touch with them and ask for a reference). In addition it would be a good idea to get into the practice of asking new clients for references to add to your portfolio as well. This could serve as a useful format for potential clients to view your professional work and your references.

Again, this is just a recommendation, not a requirement, for those using the Map Requests section to find commissions.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Most of us have Maps on the forums
    Most of Us have Deviant-art accounts..
    and most of us who do or want to do Maps semi-professional or full time professional even have links in our signatures
    I am thinking of changing my Wayward traveler's series to "To Nostalgic to publish in our Product line"
    I made more on Maps from individuals for older games without battle maps than for professional future products.
    Cartographer's could be asking the same thing...who checks the credentials of these publisher's?
    Last edited by jpstod; 03-23-2016 at 03:26 AM.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Quote Originally Posted by jpstod View Post
    Cartographer's could be asking the same thing...who checks the credentials of these publisher's?
    Haha, yes, that would be nice.
    Publishers to show on-time pay schedules, number of edits/redos requested, total number of completely changed ideas, bad communication rating
    That road does travel both directions

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Haha, yes, that would be nice.
    Publishers to show on-time pay schedules, number of edits/redos requested, total number of completely changed ideas, bad communication rating
    That road does travel both directions
    Dang I wish we had that like button...

And what about those of us who are just starting out and don't have any 'commissioned' work? If someone is looking for references, and they like one of my maps.... wouldn't the work I've already done and posted on the site be enough of a reference?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    And what about those of us who are just starting out and don't have any 'commissioned' work? If someone is looking for references, and they like one of my maps.... wouldn't the work I've already done and posted on the site be enough of a reference?
    Ladiestorm references aren't strictly necessary in order to land commissions. If they were then none of us could have landed our first commission They are helpful though, which is why the suggestion was made that Cartographers create a separate "commissions" portfolio containing references from past clients. If one hasn't yet done any commissioned pieces then this of course would not apply. You can and should direct potential clients to your portfolio, but there would not be any references yet since there would not have been any clients to give them.

Hi,

So far I've had 3 very professional responses to my request for maps. Each have provided links to specific work that may suit and/or their website/portfolios. I don't think much more than that is needed.

You get a feel for the type of person you're dealing with by their correspondence and sample work.

Just my 2c worth.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps