Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Dungeon by the Sea?

Wip WIP - Dungeon by the Sea?

In a cave overlooking the sea a band of savage sea <fill in your creature of choice> thrive, protecting their treasure and their secrets.

Anyways - played with this one this afternoon. Any comments, suggestions?

Bonus points if you know where some of the textures from the crashing waves came from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sea-dungeon2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	834.3 KB 
ID:	5398  

Oooh, I want bonus points. Hokusai?

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
    Oooh, I want bonus points. Hokusai?
    Ding! 10 units of generic bonus points for you, sir!

Lol, beaten to the punch, Hokusai and Hiroshige are among my favourite artists. Not too many comments and suggestions - the rocks in the sea are coloured differently to your ground texture in the dungeon - I wonder if they should be the same?

I really do like the texture you've used for the undergrowth. I'm intrigued by the large orange rectangle top left, what is it meant to be?

To give the impression that the cave is elevated high above the sea you might want to draw a cliff face? (not sure how high the cave is meant to be).

Lovely map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, pretty map. I actually have one of those wave pictures on the wall of the room I'm working in at the moment!

I like the clour scheme and the overall feel of the map a lot. The objects (dunjinni?) jar a little with the otherwise quite hand-drawn look of the map. Don't know how easy that would be to change.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I like the clour scheme and the overall feel of the map a lot. The objects (dunjinni?) jar a little with the otherwise quite hand-drawn look of the map. Don't know how easy that would be to change.
    Was kind of worried about that - Producing hand drawn objects wouldn't be so much of an issue if I had a tablet, I think. But yes - I think they may be a bit too "clean". Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really do like the texture you've used for the undergrowth. I'm intrigued by the large orange rectangle top left, what is it meant to be?
    A lava pit, of course Perhaps I need to research lava pits a bit more

To give the impression that the cave is elevated high above the sea you might want to draw a cliff face? (not sure how high the cave is meant to be).
    Yeah, I struggled with this - since it's top down, you wouldn't see a cliff face unless the base of the cliff is broader than the top. Maybe I should revisit that...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    You could 'cheat' and just use a drop shadow to imply height...what software are you using to draw your map?
    re: drop shadow - that's what I had originally done, but I guess it wasn't dark enough if you didn't notice it? Mebbe I'll try darkening it up a bit. Thanks again!

Only software I'm currently using is Photoshop.

Very pretty map. Good job sir!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast