Thread: WinterFall - The North Pole

Map WinterFall - The North Pole

Appropriate for the season, here is a map I made based loosly on a story of the same name I wrote for my kids about the North Pole. Kind of a dark twist on the traditional lore. I tried to incorporate some less-classic folklore as well, like the Greek Hyperborea. Made in Photoshop with huge help from pretty much everyone who's posted a tutorial here!

-SmilesAndGimps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinterFall.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	691.4 KB 
ID:	59670

Note the lack of compass rose because, technically, at the pole every direction is south... just couldn't come up with a cool way to represnt that!

Hey, welcome to the guild SmilesAndGimps! This map is pretty good, although the pieces of the broken ice sheet are looking strangely smooth and roundish compared to the rest.

Nice! I especially like arctic maps, so I might be biased in my opinion that it looks amazing.

Thanks for the comments guys! The broken ice sheet does look a little hokey in retrospect, guess I overlooked it mostly... Maybe I'll go back and rough it up a bit in the future!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

So this is what Winterfell looked like before it fell?

Uh… not my best joke perhaps. Anyway… It's a good map, I like the land shape and the texture work. I think in your future maps, you could improve your labeling by using fewer styles and fonts. The look of Hyperborea and those are perfect; the rest don't fit in as good as those do. You also have some pixellation on some of the lines, which can often be fixed easily by applying a small Gaussian Blur (or making a pass over the lines with the blur tool if you didn't put them on their own layers).

Have some reputation points for contributing with this map in your first post!

Guild Novice

Looks great. Nice work. I'm curious if the scale is what you intended? The whole map is about 50x50 miles. Seems small, but it's your story, of course.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Bush Troll's Avatar

coool almost james bondish in away