Thread: Silòn

Help Silòn

Hey everybody! I'm drawing my very first map based on an idea of my D&D master about a particular city in his campaing.
    I drew this map following a tutorial in which were explained a lot of tecniques that I used during the realization of this work. It's my first try ever so I'm opening this thread to receive tips from more experienced guild member on what I can change, add or modify, and to ask for help.
    In any case it could be a mess I'm using Adobe Photoshop CS6, but I'm never been an expert with this program.

This is my work untill now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silòn.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	536.5 KB 
ID:	59771

At this moment I have two problems:
    1- the first regards my rough edges. I thought that it could be nice using this tecnique, but I decided to draw another bigger view of Silòn and I prefer use this "ancient parchment" edges for this second view, but I cut all my levels to adapt their shape to this first one and I fear that the only solution to this problem is to redraw the map entirely.
    2- The second regards my "Save" option. I've tried to save my map in .jpg size, but I can still see the white background of my map. I've tried to cancel the background layer too, but nothing happens: my map's still showing that awful white frame.

About the city:
    After an epic battle the city of Silòn was surronded by woods and trees that defend the city. There are just two ways to get in and out the city and these are cut in the great forest which replaces a classic defence wall. It's a quite big merchant city and its circular square and a few roads and buildings are the only testimony of this city's life before the great battle that hit the first settlement.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

.Jpeg doesn't support transparency, only .png and .tiff files do. So as long as you save it in .jpeg, you will have a white background instead of a transparent one.

Oh, ok, thanks a lot Max

I really like your map but the saw-tooth edge throws me off a little. Perhaps you could modify the parchment edge you have using these real examples of ancient parchment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bp15-14z.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	59842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bp15-14y.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	59843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greek-Parchment.jpg 
Views:	2602 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	59844

I think the shear number of notches, coupled with their relatively uniform depth is what's making it read poorly for me.

Also, a parchment with that much edge damage would likely have other surface damage (holes, water damage, creases).
    Last edited by PWKerns; 12-20-2013 at 10:02 AM.

I totally agree with you, PWKerns, this is why I whish to modify completely my background and restore the original one. It's too much rugged and uniform, as you say. The problem is that I think that I can't work anymore on that background, unless I want to make that rips even deeper than now.