Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Renaissance City

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Map Fantasy Renaissance City

Just finished my first city map! It was a commission for the writer Marc Wilson, who I'm very, very grateful to for trusting me to make this map without any other cities in my portfolio. As always, ink and watercolors for the landscape/city, and Photoshop for the labels. The font is Roman Antique by Dieter Steffmann. I also used PS to assemble the cartouches, from painted and scanned sections.

Maybe you'll notice on the compass that the map is flipped… That was a decision we made to be able to keep the shape from Marc's sketch, which was in a standing A format, but still make it a double page spread in the book. If I remember my cartography history correctly, it was during the renaissance that it became popular to orient maps with north up, so i guess this map was drawn right in the transition period
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rennaissance City.jpg 
Views:	1848 
Size:	467.5 KB 
ID:	59722

Nice map !

Very cool map! Especillay like the outskirt farms and that central harbor area. The difference in colors of the structures isn't clear to me, though... Is it supposed to be a different construction or denoting less importance? Just the lack of detail as compared to the brown rooves throws off my eye. Not a deal breaker, though, love this map!

That turned out beautifully! Great colors and layout. Sadly I cannot rep you at this time, but you get full marks in my book!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'll rep you since Arsheesh can't! ( his rep is worth more points than mine, but better than nothing!)

Great map, love the layout.

Great job man, really surprised this is your first city map! Always enjoy the watercolour you have in your maps. Only thing that I can really that I can really say could be different is the asymmetry of the legend at the bottom. I would have preferred it to be centered and symmetrical, perhaps either by using a smaller font or making the frame bigger, but that's just me.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks everyone, glad you like it! Didn't expect to get a rating of 5, that was a nice surprise this morning
    @Smilesandgimps: You have a point about the different roofs… I was trying to show both lower significance and different roof type at once actually, but I should probably detail them a little more next time.
    @A.Woods: I kinda like asymmetry But there is a thought behind it's placement/shape: I wanted to put all locations on the left side in the left cartouche and vice versa to make it easy to read the map, and there were more things on the right side and also more space in the sea to write on. And they are sort of centered, they have equal distance to the center measured from the inner edge of the cartouches

I like the streets! Chaotic in the older sections of the town and more ordered in the newer sections. The story I read into it is the age of the city which started at the ocean's edge and grew from there.

Blog Entries

Wow, nice work

Maybe the building outlines could use improvement, but I like the colors.
    Strange compass flip
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast