Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making maps in Photoshop

Guild Journeyer

No bother

Use your channels only to select things. Once selected, go back to the Layers tab to do any editing, creating a new layer if needed. Sounds like you are trying to fill in while still in the Channels tab and so you are seeing the selection mask. In the channels red is the default colour to show a mask.

Returning to the Layer's tab is mentioned in step 1.4. Please see that for further explanation on this step. When I get time I'll edit the tutorial to mention that filling in while still in the channels tab will show stuff up as red.

Also check what colour you have as foreground/background colours in your tools ( defaulted position is on the left side of your screen at the bottom - two boxes, default as black and white ). If you have red, then red will be used to fill in. When you fill, the dialogue box allows you to fill with foreground or background (among other options) so check you are filling in with the colour you want.

hope that helps. I look forward to seeing your finished map.

Cheers
    jez
    Last edited by jezelf; 08-11-2008 at 05:25 AM.

for some reason whenever i click any of the links now it says that its "Forbidden" and wont let me see the tutorial. Whats with that? It worked a couple of weeks ago

Fantastic tutorial.

I'm following along with the Gimp and am having trouble with 1.4 of the Aged Paper tutorial.

I can't seem to get my rivers to come out nice. They don't fade out like the examples do and I suspect it's because (since I'm using Gimp and it's my first time) I'm not selecting the alpha channel correctly.

Anyone have any advice on how to get that to work with Gimp?

Quote Originally Posted by jgerman View Post
    Fantastic tutorial.

I'm following along with the Gimp and am having trouble with 1.4 of the Aged Paper tutorial.

I can't seem to get my rivers to come out nice. They don't fade out like the examples do and I suspect it's because (since I'm using Gimp and it's my first time) I'm not selecting the alpha channel correctly.

try drawing the rivers in a .5 scaled paintbrush or pencil, and when you do the stroke selection, set the size of the stroke to .1. Ill keep experimenting and ill tell you if i find a better way to do it

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    for some reason whenever i click any of the links now it says that its "Forbidden" and wont let me see the tutorial. Whats with that? It worked a couple of weeks ago

Hi

bryguy: Yeah sorry about that. I guess the tutorials are quite popular - I ran out of my transfer data quota. I've brought another 5GB - should be OK now.

jgerman: I've not used GIMP, though there are plenty of others here who have, there might be an answer in one of the GIMP tutorials. I'll have a look at GIMP if I get some time and get back to you on that one.

Thanks both, I'll keep experimenting

Again this is a great tutorial (as are others on the site), for someone that has never played with graphics programs before especially... I've learned a lot of little tricks techniques I can use for other projects.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I can't wait for the new tablet to arrive great tut jezelf !

Quote Originally Posted by jgerman View Post

What, specifically, do you mean by "fade out"? Tapering? Or something else?

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    What, specifically, do you mean by "fade out"? Tapering? Or something else?

-Rob A>
    On the tutorial for aged paper (http://www.jezelf.co.uk/tutorials_map02.htm) the first few instructions are related to creating a new alpha layer (or channel, I'm not sure which).

Instruction 1.2 and 1.3 are where the magic (well it's magic to me at least) happens. The creation of a 'Selection Set' from the map alpha followed by the 1 pixel stroke in 1.3.

What I think is happening is that when the stroke is performed, since the selection is from the alpha channel the opacity of the stroked lines will match those of the lines I take the selection from. But I don't seem to be getting that effect.

Looking at the map under 1.4 you'll see that the rivers fade into the tan as the move inland. This is what I assume the effect I'm botching would cause. What happens on my maps is those pieces I erased away in the first tutorial (to get the tapering rivers) don't appear at all and I just get solid lines for the rest of the river.

I may be screwing up a step in the first tutorial (Creating an Alpha Map). Specifically the paragraph that includes the sentence "partly delete away the harder, brighter inner rivers". I'm noob enough to just not know.

I apologize for the round about way I'm describing things, this is all new to me.
    Last edited by jgerman; 09-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Guild Journeyer

jgerman: no worries if you're a new - I like to make sure everyone can follow it, so I'll look into editing the instructions when I get some time.

When creating the Alpha map, you're erasing away the black rivers gently so you have a gradient from black to white (or visa-versa if the rivers are white) once flattened down, it'll just be read as a gray scale gradient.

When this is selected (in the tutorial you are working on) - make sure you select it while in the channels tab. This will retain the gradient information. If you select it in the layers tab and fill it in, it'll loose the gradient fall off and just fill everything in with your selected colour.

These instructions are for Photoshop, so it may be just that they don't translate to GIMP that well. Not had the time to test in GIMP. I've now got it installed, but will need to find the equivalent UI things. Hopefully will get get back this week - sooner rather than later.

hang in there

cheers
    jez
    Last edited by jezelf; 09-03-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast