Thread: First time Photoshop: The Five Kingdoms.

Default First time Photoshop: The Five Kingdoms.

This map has no names on it yet because I'll probably remake it.

The Five Kingdoms

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaart1.png 
Views:	298 
Size:	573.2 KB 
ID:	59754

Nice start. I take it the various symbols are hand-drawn and scanned in, then placed on a digital basemap? Were they drawn at about the scale you want to show them? Their blurriness seems to say they were size-shifted a lot, and the difference between their sharpness and the coasts and rivers is a bit jarring. If you're going to scan in bits to use, plan on scanning right at the size they'll be used, or else plan on reducing them (and even reducing has problems, if done in differing amounts).

You have some rivers doing odd things. Have you ever taken a look at the Most Excellent Redrobes tutorial How to get your rivers in the right place? Even on a fantasy map, realism of behavior of the mundane elements of the landscape is a Good Thing.

Keep at it - you have some interesting terrain going. Looks like all manner of opportunity for portaging, or for transshipping cargo. Or if your people have the technology, chances for canals. Isthmuses and straits are automatic choke points with all manner of story / conflict opportunities.

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the symbols are from a brush pack, since I've seen them used before. I agree with jbgibson though, they are VERY blurry compared to the rest.

Great terrain, neat shape, but yeah the rivers are very strange.