Thread: Island Attempt

Post Island Attempt

I opened up photoshop with no intent on creating anything specific, just mess around with layers and see what I could come up with.

I started drawing randomly with the mouse, and realised that I ended up with what looked like islands, so I decided to carry on with it and came up with this.

Anyway, what you think?

http://pillboxgames.com/screenshots/...r/island-1.jpg

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

For a complete accident it is awsome. Even if it wasn't a complete accident it is still awsome

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That is a great start. It looks like you've used very similar techniques to those in RobA's regional map tutorial. I'd highly recommend going through that tute as it has lots of handy tips for this style of map. It's written for Gimp but I believe a lot of the tips can be directly applied to photoshop.

Guild Journeyer

Hey that's pretty cool! I second JoeyD473 -pretty good for just messing around.

If you want to continue it, keep an eye on the style. Its's not a big difference, but you have a cross between flat ( the sea and rivers) and some relief going on there ( the land). Your mountains show more detail on them than the edge of the islands so I would recommend keeping to one 'look' so your map shows consitency. If you want go go the relief side of things, I would say to check out Wilbur. Here's a tutorial as well. it's handy if you want erosion.

Also, in photoshop, you can assign a colour gradient to height. Here's an online tutorial that mentions it. (page 3)

There's also many other cool tutorials in the How to section. different styles that you might prefer.

Keep it up!
    thanks for showing it

Cheers
    Jez

I do not think I'll be keeping it. I use the Forgotten Realms for my campaign, and don't really have time to create maps like this.

I did work on it some more after I posted that one, and ended up wiith this :

http://pillboxgames.com/screenshots/...r/island-2.jpg

I also ordered a Graphics Tablet, so that will be something new for me to try out.

When I have time I'll check out the tutorials mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by PillBox View Post
    I do not think I'll be keeping it. I use the Forgotten Realms for my campaign, and don't really have time to create maps like this.

I did work on it some more after I posted that one, and ended up wiith this :

http://pillboxgames.com/screenshots/...r/island-2.jpg

I also ordered a Graphics Tablet, so that will be something new for me to try out.

When I have time I'll check out the tutorials mentioned.
    Man, I have too much time to create maps like this, and I only wish I had a tablet on order.

I agree with everyone else - looks great for some doodles. I particularly like the look of the smaller islands - something about how they're placed looks very natural to me.

I placed the smaller Islands after I had created the bigger ones, so they were not part of the random start I had.