Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Axis & Allies Miniatures Map

Post Cookies, anyone?

<< Slight Thread Hijack >>

Perhaps y'all might like to try these fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Choc-Chip.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	9741

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

I've never played A&A Minis, but I do play Squad Leader. The terrain/LOS rules are similar, so perhaps you could do a similar thing with A&A Minis maps. In addition to allowing terrain to flow into adjacent hexes (which is most common), ASL sometimes gets around terrain rules by using historical special rules. Historically accurate maps sometimes will create an unusual terrain type or an unusual combination of terrain types. This is because historically there existed more than one terrain type in a hex. If you are trying to recreate a historically accurate map, then you could take this option - make special rules describing how to play with the unusual terrain type or unusual combination of terrain types. However if you are not trying to recreate historically accurate terrain, I would not recommend this approach.

Also, if you are looking for different terrain types - the VASL Map Cabal site has the Squad Leader versions of the terrain types. The terrain art there might be worth looking at when making patterns for woods/grain/marsh/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kihmbar View Post
    Also, if you are looking for different terrain types - the VASL Map Cabal site has the Squad Leader versions of the terrain types. The terrain art there might be worth looking at when making patterns for woods/grain/marsh/whatever.
    Thanks for the info... I'm currently looking into using Sketch Up for all my buildings. My next attempt will be to create a 'City Fight' map for Axis and Allies. A kind of Stalingrad/Fall of Berlin map that could be used for either scenario. It's kind of daunting... I don't have any proprietary mapping software other than Photoshop and Illustrator. So it's all scratch built, and all my art/graphic design skills to be put into full effect. I know it's going to be hard. Nothing that is worthwhile is easy.

Wilco out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kihmbar View Post
    I've never played A&A Minis, but I do play Squad Leader. The terrain/LOS rules are similar, so perhaps you could do a similar thing with A&A Minis maps. In addition to allowing terrain to flow into adjacent hexes (which is most common), ASL sometimes gets around terrain rules by using historical special rules. Historically accurate maps sometimes will create an unusual terrain type or an unusual combination of terrain types. This is because historically there existed more than one terrain type in a hex. If you are trying to recreate a historically accurate map, then you could take this option - make special rules describing how to play with the unusual terrain type or unusual combination of terrain types. However if you are not trying to recreate historically accurate terrain, I would not recommend this approach.

Hey Khimbar, do you know my friend, Trevor Edwards? He used to run the Squad Leader tournaments in the UK. I think he goes by the nick 'Hedgehog' on the ASL boards.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hey Khimbar, do you know my friend, Trevor Edwards? He used to run the Squad Leader tournaments in the UK. I think he goes by the nick 'Hedgehog' on the ASL boards.
    I'm not familiar with Trevor Edwards, but then again I don't usually surf the ASL boards. I've got an active ASL group around here in case I have a question concerning the rules. I intend to go to ASLOK sometime, but the biggest tournament I've been to so far is the Winter Offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaviar Eldor Eissturm View Post
    I try to create a axis & allies map, but have some problems with it. I use TheGimp and Inkscape (if necessary).

1) i've some problems to create forests. May be some one could give me some advices?
    2) can you give me some reply?
    These should be of some inspiration,
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/maps

also Google Earth printsceen snapshots are good.

Here is a 8x11 test image of cut and pastes from the wizards maps:
    Last edited by Gabe69velasquez; 09-27-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

Check out Hex Map by Heavy Metal Software:

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/

Very nice Hex map making program.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123