Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axis & Allies Miniatures Map

Post Axis & Allies Miniatures Map

I try to create a axis & allies map, but have some problems with it. I use TheGimp and Inkscape (if necessary).

1) i've some problems to create forests. May be some one could give me some advices?
    2) can you give me some reply?

Looks good, I tried my hand making an A&A map, but I did mine with CC3, so, sorry, can't give much help.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post Suggestion...

Using a hex grid is great for regional maps. However, it seems your roads, towns, and forests are forced into their shape by the grids around them. Your map appears to have been created by one of those hex tile based mapping programs, except as you say, this is created in GIMP and Inkscape. So consider a natural freeform shape to your terrain features.

When I map, I place the grid as the very last thing. I do sometimes use a grid to help maintain scale throughout the process for complex maps, but I pre-create my grids and apply them as needed, usually at the end only, most of the time.

I suggest using the grids to help determine scale at this stage, but otherwise forget they exist and create your towns, roads and forests without any forced limitation. If your forests extended beyond the edges of a given hex and partially into other hexes creating a more random shape you would have great improvement. Apply this to your towns and roads, as well.

Your implied Hex limitation is too obvious and completely unnecessary. It is distracting.

Of your two forest samples, I prefer the one to the right of the other, though if your forest edge was rougher, the outline forest might still work. Colorwise and town/building quality look good!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-23-2008 at 03:21 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Using a hex grid is great for regional maps. However, it seems your roads, towns, and forests are forced into their shape by the grids around them. Your map appears to have been created by one of those hex tile based mapping programs, except as you say, this is created in GIMP and Inkscape. So consider a natural freeform shape to your terrain features.

When I map, I place the grid as the very last thing. I do sometimes use a grid to help maintain scale throughout the process for complex maps, but I pre-create my grids and apply them as needed, usually at the end only most of the time.

I suggest using the grids to help determine scale at this stage, but otherwise forget they exist and create your towns, roads and forests without any forced limitation. If your forests extended beyond the edges of a given hex and partially into other hexes creating a more random shape you would have great improvement. Apply this to your towns and roads.

Your implied Hex limitation is too obvious and completely unnecessary.

Of your two forest samples, I prefer the one to the right of the other.

GP
    Except, Axis & Allies is a miniature game played on a HEX gridded map, so unfortunately, the terrain must be constrained by the grid. Artificial I know, but for the game to be played, that is how it has to be.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aa/welcome

and

For example maps
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...le/ah20051121c

Here is the excerpt of Page 25 & 26 of the rulebook for A&A Minis, detailing the HEX terrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A&A Terrain Hexes.jpg 
Views:	3068 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	5414  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 07-23-2008 at 03:33 AM.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post I do understand

I have played Axis & Allies, primarily the board game, rather than the online version, and I understand the pieces for units work in hexes.

Thus using the hex grid is necessary for the game. Still, I really feel forcing map elements to the grid is unrealistic and takes away from the game. The game still works properly if the map was more authentic and still using the grid.

Just an opinion. Of course, if those are the rules, then those are the rules.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-23-2008 at 03:36 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yeah, on the whole most things can be done without constraining ones self to the HEX except for a few minor things:

Bluffs

&

Hedgerows.

Those two items only seem extremely confined to HEXES as the rules for them specifically mention them running along a HEX edge.

Mostly though, an terrain feature must fill most of the hex for that hex to be considered that terrain. The DOTs in the center of the hexes are used for determining Line Of Sight (you check from centre of one hex to centre of another hex), and if it crosses a hex of LoS blocking terrain, a piece cannot see another piece.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

First of all I would tone down your grass colour. Desaturate it a little and drop the lightness. At the moment it is a little too fluorescent.

Uhh!

Moin,

i am surprised to see so many replies. Thanks!

@NeonKnight: A&A-Maps with CC3? Have you some pictues?
    @GamePrinter
    it seems your roads, towns, and forests are forced into their shape by the grids around the
    You're right. I also see this problem, but the reference maps are ... very synthetic? (right word?). I will rethink about my next steps.

@torstan: on my screen its not so bright. I make a notice for me to remeber your hint.

But at all: has no one a good (mini-)tutorial to make a forest? I hate my own forest (its ugly).

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Best bet is to browse around the regional map section and find a forest you like. Or find an example on the wider web. Then point to it and ask how it was done. I'm sure someone here will be able to recreate the look for you using gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaviar Eldor Eissturm View Post
    @NeonKnight: A&A-Maps with CC3? Have you some pictues?
    Here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast