Thread: Thorf's World-building Techniques: The Making of the World of Calidar

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

Tutorial Thorf's World-building Techniques: The Making of the World of Calidar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Making-of-Calidar.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	59672

I mentioned a few months ago that I'm working on a new project, and that I'm writing tutorials to share my techniques. I have learned a ton of stuff from tutorials and discussions here at the Cartographer's Guild, and I would like to express my thanks. These articles seemed like a good way to do that.

Here's a list of all the articles (which I will keep updated as they appear):

The Introduction, giving the background to the project and what brought me to work on it, and outlining what sections I'm working on.

• Part I: Continental Outlines, which is primarily about map projections, and how to use them when building the continental outlines for your world map.

• Part II: Scale, covering the topic of map scales, and the comparison between paper and digital scales.

Currently in the works: Building Base Height Maps, and Erosion

There are other topics still to come. You can see a list at the end of the introductory post.

I thought about posting the articles directly here, but the number of inline images means it's just too much trouble to remake each article completely again. I'd love to turn them into PDFs eventually, though. If anyone would like to volunteer to make PDFs, please let me know.

Please go and have a look.
    Last edited by Thorf; 12-17-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added new links and changed text to fit future revisions.

Amazing...I'm new in drawing maps so I spent a lot of time reading and watching tutorials. This project seems to be really big and I'm eager to follow your guide and see the final result. I wish you good work and good luck

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, Twonineone.

I just published the next article in the series. It covers the topic of scale, and perhaps most useful of all, it includes a table summing up my research into how paper map scales correspond to pixel-based scales.

Please have a look, and let me know if you have any comments or corrections.

Here's the link:

• Part II: Scale