Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December 2014 Entry: Secrets of the Golden Dawn

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I believe there is some explaining in order. The empty space around the rooms is reserved for notes concerning the rooms and the star is actually not a compass rose, it’s a heptagram over the seven days of the week and more of drawing with the same purpose as the globe or the book – items that relate to the notes I will add later today.

Nice map! I'm eager to read about room explanation and some map background

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Nicely presented and I like the watercolours. The perspective is a little shaky in areas, pointing in a few different directions, but I love the idea and I think it will definitely be an interesting location for any would-be adventurers!

Thanks for feedback! It’s actually not colored with watercolor. I drew all the outlines with ink, than painted the rest in PS. Anyway, here comes another update. My entry is almost done, ish. It still needs some polishing, but I’m not certain when the contest ends so I figure I should post a preliminary final draft anyway. (Am I correct when thinking it ends tonight?)
    I added the text “explaining” the dungeon, however, I took another approach on this then what I believe is the common one. So I guess I should explain. The notes are seven diary entries written by a fictional character, Archeologist Marcus Kain, as he and his expedition descend the levels of the dungeon.
    The adventure begins months prior to the notes here, when Marcus Kain finds a clue about a hidden secret of the occult order the Golden Dawn in one of their ancient temples. This clue later leads him to this dungeon. Cheers!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color atemptasfas fie room2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	59952

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Pretty sure the challenge is on until Jan 1st or there abouts.

This is looking great now with the text, feels very complete.

As you have gone for an authentic look to the design, I would suggest avoiding such a straight text Use the mask tool (like it appears you have done on the title) on portions of the text. It doesn't matter if the entire text is legible (providing key words aren't too faded). Maybe used the transform/skew tools to mover your text around a little so it's not quite so neat, which will really bump up that authentic feel.

Really good work tainotim.

It is looking better with each addition. I like the journal feeling a lot. It certainly makes it a more interesting map.

With this update I call this drawing “preliminary finished”. If I find time before the challenge end, I might polish it some more and maybe add or / and remove some details. I’ve always had a hard time separating with projects.

About two weeks ago I begun drawing on this piece and since then I’ve spent up to four hours every evening working on it. It begun as a minimalistic sketch on the cheap A4 paper from the copy machine, but soon – thanks to quick answers and advice from some other members, turned into something much more. When I begun I knew little about dungeon mapping or Photoshop. However, since then, thanks to the pressure of the limited time given in the Challenge, I’ve learned priceless techniques for Cartography, and for the first time in years I’ve had motivation to finish a drawing project. Much thanks to the helpful and encouraging members of the Cartographers’ Guild: for that I say, thanks!

Two months ago I joined the guild and since then I’ve seen countless old and new members polish their cartography skills in their individual mapping projects. To all those members and to anyone reading this, I want to add a word of recommendation and encouragement. Enter one of the Cartographers’ Guild Challenges! The idea might seem daunting, seeing professional artists present their amazing entries for the challenge, knowing that you as a rookie probably won’t stand a chance. However, it’s worth it! In the end, if you struggle to finish the map with the time limit and pressure yourself to make the best you can, you will – with some dedication, learn more than you could ever imagine. And who knows, you might just win! Entering this challenge was the best thing I could do to improve, and it’s definitely something I will do again!

Happy New Year, fellow Cartographers!
    Tainotim

Edit:
    Ps/ I just realized that the story in the diary entries take place on New Year's Eve. What a amusing coincidence

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	96 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	59961
    Last edited by tainotim; 12-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.

It is an interesting phenomenon that even though this is a Challenge/competition/contest where someone gets to "win", the greatest amount of help you receive will often come from your rival competitors.

Great work, the border and icons give it a nice finished touch!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A challenge is a great way to hone your skills and learn new ones. It's also as Bogie said one of the best ways to get the maximum amount of feedback on your work. (We all tend to follow the challenges) Great work on your entry and good luck
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks a lot. It certainly is. More often than not, the best results show under pressure. Update: Just fixed a minor text mistake where the end didn’t fit.

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	128 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	60000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12