Thread: Reference Map for my Novel

Wip Reference Map for my Novel

Backstory: Magic is semi-sentient. Over time, it creates life on its own (in the form of magical creatures, plants, in addition to modifying terrain). It is also the fuel for spells.

Original Drawing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x75u1f4h.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	59854

Coastline and Mountains

Name:	hGb6v3wh.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	59853

Rivers

Name:	39O420Hh.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	59852

Terrain

Name:	kCPIrTFh.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	59856

These images are fairly low quality so lines aren't as tight as they should be (especially with the rivers on the terrain map).

Here's a link to an album where you can download high quality versions if you really care to.
    Last edited by Krix; 12-20-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Hi Krix, I'm not not one of the experts here but to me your rivers look too orderly. Evenly spaced and perhaps still too straight especially in the plains where the path of the water could change more frequently. But other than that I think you're off to a great start.

Thanks! I may go back and move some of them around. I only had a rough idea of what the terrain would look like when I started drawing the rivers. Another factor that made this really difficult was the scale. This map is huge; it's 3,000 miles across. At this scale I was afraid to get too crazy with the rivers. Also, these rivers are obviously a very small fraction of the actual rivers in this land. I just tried to draw them where it made the most sense for the largest rivers to be.

I'll ponder on your suggestions and see what I come up with.